cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

Community Veteran

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

I wonder if pancake day is copyrighted :lol:

Happy pancake day everyone! What are we all having on our pancakes tonight?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

If the lemons are Jif lemons then they are Smiley
N/A

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

The Recipes
You will need a mixing bowl and whisk, or a blender, a frying pan and some adult help.
The basic batter for all three is the same.

1 cup plain flour
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon of sugar
Pinch of salt
For the American and Egyptian versions you need to add 1-½ teaspoons of baking powder.
Place the flour and egg and half the milk into the mixing bowl and mix until smooth. Add the rest of the milk until the batter pours easily off a spoon but is not too watery. Use more milk if you need. Add the sugar, and if you are using it the baking powder, and mix again. Let the batter stand for about 20 minutes and give it a final mix.

For the cooking you will need adult help.
Heat a frying pan coated in oil on the stove until very hot. Drop in a spoon full of batter and rock the pan to make it spread out. Fry until the batter changes colour and bubbles appear on the top. The bubbles should burst open and the pancake look white.

For the Egyptian pancakes fry only the first side. For the other pancakes turn them over and fry the second side, too. Then add your favourite topping and eat them while they are still hot.

For the Egyptian pancakes you need to prepare a stuffing and the syrup.
The simplest stuffing consists of chopped nuts (any kind) a little sugar and a little cinnamon (optional).
For the syrup, put two cups of sugar and one cup of water into a pan and bring to the boil. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Boil for exactly ten minutes and remove from the heat.

Caution: Boiling syrup is very hot and can cause severe burns. An adult should do this. Never taste the syrup when it is hot, and if any of it gets on your skin hold the affected part under running cold water for at LEAST five minutes.
After the pancakes have cooled, add a small amount of the stuffing to the centre of the pancake (uncooked side).
Fold the pancake in half and pinch the edges together, they stick better if you run a wet finger over them before folding.
Strictly speaking the pancakes should then be deep fried until golden brown. For health reasons it is probably better to brush them lightly with oil or butter and bake them in a hot oven for 20-25 minutes.

The last step is to soak them in the syrup. For the best results the pancakes should be hot and the syrup cold, or the pancakes cold and the syrup hot. If both are hot or cold, it doesn't work as well. Soak them for about a minute, remove them from the syrup and allow them to drip off the excess syrup before eating. They are best eaten cold.

So, get busy trying all the different types of pancake, and decide which is your favourite. Try different nuts for the Egyptian one (my favourite is walnuts) and different toppings for the others. Try tossing the English ones. Don't toss too high or they stick to the ceiling! Most important have fun and be safe. Remember that kitchens can be dangerous and you should always have adult supervision.

Copyright © Google search.
Community Veteran

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

The best pancakes are these that's the ones we normally have...
Community Veteran

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

will you be baking them Masterchef Dan?
Community Veteran

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

Being from Sheffield my missus likes to eat lots of yorkshire puddings etc and when she eats pancakes she puts gravy on them too! Its disgusting I don't know if other Sheffield folk do this. Anyone actually from Sheffield care to comment?
LiamM
Grafter

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

I eat pancakes with gravy! Very very nice Smiley

Oh, and I'm from Devon Wink
Community Veteran

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

sorry but eugh!!!!

Yeah I eat yorkshire puds with gravy but pancakes are for lemon and sugar or chocolate sauce!!!!
N/A

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

If you substitute the sugar in the recipe above with a pinch of salt you then have savoury pancakes Wink , and they can been eaten with a variety of fillings, like crab or bacon (fried not raw). Smiley
Community Veteran

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

Yuck John.
What part of the country are you from?
N/A

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

Manchester originally Chris Cheesy .

Now living in Worcester; where the Worcestershire Sauce comes from. Very tasty on cheese-on-toast and savoury pancakes. Wink
Community Veteran

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

will you be baking them Masterchef Dan?

I did indeed. Though not those ones as we didn't have any buttermilk. :-(
Alecto
Grafter

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

Dan
Don't you know of anyone who might have liked to cook the pancakes for you? (If you'd asked her, of course). Wink
Community Veteran

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

lmao, aww maybe he baked some for her! How romantic!

/me just realised you weren't talking about Tasha! Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Pankcake Day Logo!!!!!

Dan
Don't you know of anyone who might have liked to cook the pancakes for you? (If you'd asked her, of course). Wink

I don't know what was cooking downstairs yesterday but it wasn't pancakes.