cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Page Cannot Be Displayed Errors

N/A

Hi - in the past month when initially logging onto my ADSL connection via dial up I have been getting "Page Cannot Be Displayed" errors. I am connecting fine, but whilst trying to log me onto bbc.co.uk it waits a second then brings up the Page Cannot Be Displayed page. If I hit the refresh button on the browser it then connects to my home page fine.
Can somebody please advise what is happening? Are there some tweaks I need to do with IE or my dial up connection?
As mentioned this has only started occuring in the past month or so. I havent adjusted any settings at all, so perhaps something is happening elsewhere in the chain>
Thanks!
12 REPLIES
slev
Grafter

Hi

To be honest I get this a hell of alot more than I used to.

This can be any site hosted anywhere and at least once perday and it is strange if you refresh once or twice the site then loads, but this is not on dial up but on adsl.

I thought it was just me so no idea on what could be causing this.

I am also using IE on WinXP Service pack 2, now thats is prob the main problem XP ! or maybe just cause its IE .

Regards

Ian
N/A

Sorry, I should clarify, I am using ADSL but have to 'dial in' to connect as I havent got a router etc for an always on connection.
Seems strange it has started to happen in the past month..
Community Veteran

I have a time lag, if I haven't used the connection for a little while. In my case, it's as if the router has gone into a sort of standby mode and takes a while to wake up. I'm also using XP SP2.

I assumed that since I've only just got my router that, that was the cause, but maybe not. It's irritating having to keep hitting the refresh button until it wakes up!

This may or may not be the same issue, but if anyone can tell me how to stop it happening, or speed up the wake up, then I'd be grateful. Cool
Thanks

John
slev
Grafter

Hmm seems strange this,

Maybe freeonline / plusnet need to clear their cache a little more often or it needs clearing.

It's strange we all get same errors,

My router is connected all the time and this can happen even when I have been browsing for ages not just when I wake up and start.

Can any one from freeonline confirm if they have any stale cache at the moment or having dns issues again ?

Ian
slev
Grafter

Hi

Just been reading over on plusnets forum and some are having same issues with sites not available,

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25892

If you need to enter a login / pass use guest for both

Regards

Ian
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

We don't have a proxy server so if this was something our side then DNS is the lost likely suspect.

If it is DNS then I would recommend setting the DNS servers manually in your network settings. The four DNS servers are

WIndows XP and 2k will let you specify all four.

John - might not be this but I'd suggest checking 2 things, first look for an idle timeout on your router which might be disconnecting your conenction when you haven't used it and second check the power management settings, in particular for your network card. Again your PC may have shut the card down if it hasn't been used for a while.

victwenty - is it just failing to load the page when you first log on, or does it happen randomly too? Or the first time you view any page?

If just when you log on does it make a difference if you connect and then leave it 30 seconds or so before going to your homepage?
N/A

Hello Dave - thanks for intestigating

RE:
victwenty - is it just failing to load the page when you first log on, or does it happen randomly too? Or the first time you view any page?

It is the first time I view any page.
I turn on the PC, launch IE then the dial up box appears, hit connect. It then says at the bottom of the page something like 'finding bbc.co.cuk' then it brings up a page cannot be displayed.

If just when you log on does it make a difference if you connect and then leave it 30 seconds or so before going to your homepage.
I believe it does yes - though will check.

I actually remember getting this phenomina a couple years back, but it then went back to normal.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the response.

I've looked in the router setup and can't see a "sleep" or "idle time out" setting. I've previously looked there, while being unable to connect and the router has shown "connected" (very odd)!

I've also checked my power settings, and can't see where it would power down a device like a network card.

Any ideas on where either indication might be?

John
Community Veteran

I've spoken to one of the computer engineers at work, and he suggests that it sounds as if the line is being dropped, (either by FOL, or the exchange) when it's been idle for a period of time.

That sounds like the probable explanation to me as well, since as I said earlier, there is no idle time out setting on my router or computer.

Any ideas anyone?

John
slev
Grafter

Hi

Like I said I get this now and then as well but my line doesnt drop,

I also notice customers on Plusnet reporting this problem as well.

It doesnt bother me that much at the moment as it is only now and then.

Regards

Ian
N/A

thanks chaps
Unfortunately, this is still happening. I have tried disconnecting then re-connecting and still get page cannot be displayed error when initially launching IE to view my home page.

Added to the pain, Outlook has just this minute stopped connecting to the FOL mail server. I keep getting ' Enter Network Password' dialog box.

I havent touched a thing.

What on earth is happening??!!
N/A

Page Cannot Be Displayed Error - PLEASE HELP!

OK - this is becomming a pain.
I raised this via FOL Contact Us. The reply told me to input the DNS server settings. Which I did, BUT I am STILL getting these errors. When I told the Contact Us people that I was still getting these errors, I was told there is nothing else they can do and I should TURN OFF MY FIREWALL!
This is terrible advice ! ! The only firewall I have is that in XP SP2. Nearly EVERYONE will have that anyway.
NO ONE has explained why this has suddenly started to happen.
Can someone reputable from FOL please investigate?
Thanks!