cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSP and Wireless

David_W
Rising Star

PSP and Wireless

I could no longer resist the temptation to buy a new gadget, so I got myself an imported PSP (well, I will have it as soon as it arrives, hopefully today >.<). The PSP has Wireless, its specification being IEEE 802.11b, and also 128bit AES encryption (which I'm going to assume is part of the Wi-Fi encryption).

Now my normal router for my DSL is a normal 4 port dsl modem, without wireless, so I'm considering changing my router to a nice wireless version (and of course getting a wireless card).

However, I believe I have two options.

Option 1 - purchase a new wireless router & card
Option 2 - purchase just a wireless card (USB?) and use my PC as a router.

Naturally Option 1 is the prefered route, so I can connect to the Interweb without having to worry about turning my whole PC on, but Option 2 is the cheapest method.

So my query is really a recommendation for a wireless router or if I should use my PC as a gateway, or maybe a wireless router with ethernet port that I can use my normal router as a modem, though that might over complicate things. So ya, a nice router I guess, possibly with a free wireless network card thrown in for good measure.
10 REPLIES
N/A

PSP and Wireless

Have you not thought about getting a Wireless Access Point that just plugs into your router via a RJ45 port?? Configure it right and that way you have wireless at little cost. My PSP works that way Cheesy
David_W
Rising Star

PSP and Wireless

Aye, I bit the bullet and bought a BT 1800HG wireless router, upgraded my PSP to 2.0 for the internet browser (which runs out of memory, often) but it wont connect with WPA just WEP >.<
N/A

PSP and Wireless

but it wont connect with WPA just WEP >.<

I wouldn't bother with either, they've both been cracked wide open :roll:
David_W
Rising Star

PSP and Wireless

wpa is 128bit encryption, i know wep is rather insecure, but still, 128bit is, large.
N/A

PSP and Wireless

even more trivial than WEP, a flaw in the handshake mechanism apparently.

Doh!

:shock: :roll:
N/A

PSP and Wireless

*lovingly strokes cat5 cable*

*...then notices someone sneaking up with wire strippers* :shock:
N/A

PSP and Wireless

*mattley hands Jarvis some shower hose to route his CAT5 through*

you may laugh, it can look good :shock:

N/A

PSP and Wireless

*mattley hands Jarvis some shower hose to route his CAT5 through*

you may laugh, it can look good :shock:

Could look good - Still doesnt though :lol:
N/A

PSP and Wireless

Hey I like my cat5! Tongue

Obviously it looks naff so you hide it behind skirting boards etc! Think mattley is on to something with the shower hose... but you need the rest of your house to look as sleek to make it work, and tbh I like my opaque brick walls. Very cool case though Wink

Still a lot more reliable, faster (up to 1gbit, minimal latency), and more secure than wireless! Both have their applications, but for desktops putting the effort in to cable is well worth it imho. :lol:
David_W
Rising Star

PSP and Wireless

My desktop used to be wired, then I got my new wireless router (with a pretty blue cat5), thats when the trouble started with the freezing >.< got a new card and wireless works wonders, my router is downstairs (no more wire for me to trip over) so I can eventually plug in my PS2 (if i ever get around to gettin the wireless kit).

Shower Cable + Cat 5 = blue peter bagde winner Cool