cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PL / Choke Monitoring Tool needed

N/A

Hi all,

I am after a tool, like traceroute, or visual route that will not just report on a route once, but continously monitor it, and which routers are choked, and what segments have Packet Loss, but without flooding, or appearing to flood.

Reason - I have a server which I am getting dropped from in Greece, whenever I look at the route, it seems fine, however, an intervaled ping shows occassional drop-outs, but I want to establish where.

Thanks for any suggestions, preferably Win32, cos my Unix box needs a license I cant really afford just now Sad

Big Vic
3 REPLIES
axam102

Try pingplotter from www.pingplotter.com. do a trace at the command prompt and start about 4 pings at different points in the trace, you should then be able to narrow down to where the problem lies by moving on from each good hop until you hit the problem hop. Hope that helps>
Also what Unix are you using that requires a Licence? SCO :shock: ? Solaris? Any reason you Cant slap on FreeBSD or a flavour of Linux? I would be loath to pay for any Version of Unix with the current amount of freely downloadable versions available Cool .
N/A

Thanks for the info - erm SCO Opem and unixware, the later needed for clustering. But I was invloved with certain R&D stuff with SCO until Caldera (or rather the Venture Capitalists) took over - and wanted money for everything Sad

And somewhere along the line I lost my lil peice of A4 with the site liceenses I had Sad Amazing how valuable a lil peice of paper can be - lol Cheesy

Yeah, could run any Linux stuff, and it would have some advantages, but I just dont have time for learning all the build stuff to keep it patched. I did have debian which was pretty much solid out of the box, but I lost that too :-(
All I want is a solid kernel with all the net servers and firewall stuff etc etc

Maytbe I'll get lucky and find my paper again Cheesy

Big Vic
N/A

I am amazed tho that none of the engineers there have a lil proggy that they could pass on, surely it must be apart of normal work, all I want is a win32 script, I dont really care what its written in. I can reprogramme anything really.

Or maybe a "link monitoring service" is something that FOL coudl consider offering, maybe 2 free and pay after that?
Its easy enough surely?

Big Vic