cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHP Script Permissions

N/A

PHP Script Permissions

I have been setting up a gallery website on the cgi server using php scripts. The script creates a directory in all the gallery directores called thumbs in which it creates thumbnails. It would appear the owner of the directories and files it creates is "nobody" rather than "my_username". Consequently I cannot delete the directory using ftp as I do not have permissions. Has anybody else had this problem? If so how do I get round it. Having the help desk delete my files & directories is rather slow
5 REPLIES
N/A

PHP Script Permissions

By the sounds of it it could be a hidden file in ur directory, what u need to do is telnet into the server follow these instructions and see if it helps.

Step 1. Telnet into the server using the below command from the dos prompt or from "run" in your start menu and enter ur username and password.

telnet cgi.free-online.net

Step 2. Get to ur desired directory using the following command in the now open telnet window. here's some commands to help if ur not sure..

dir (Gives a list of directories)
cd <directory name> (will change to that directory)

Step 3. Use the following command to rid u of the directories u don't want.

rm -r <directory name>

WARNING: This will permanantely delete the directory and all files it contains.

Reguarding the php script I wouldn't be able to help with that without knowing the name of the script and were you got it from, and even then I'm not sure I could help as it could be something as simple as a typo in the script, but lemme know what and were and i'll be glad to have a look for ya m8.

Hope this helps.

Platty
N/A

PHP Script Permissions

Thanks for the info. Tried what you said and teleneted onto mt cgi space. However, when I ran rm -r thumbs it came up with 'thumbs' write protected and asked if I wanted to try anyway. Then it said "permission denied". I suppose the problem is wrire protection. Any ideas how to reverse this?
N/A

PHP Script Permissions

try setting the chmod to 777 this enables all read write and execute, make sure that all files and dir's in the directory that u wish to delete are set to this.

just incase ur not sure ur FTP client should do this for u if u right click on the files/folders.

Platty
N/A

PHP Script Permissions

Ok, as i'm not completely literate on apache webserver i miss understood ur original question, I've had a look around the web and it seems that the uid nobody is actually the apache server itself, so it seems that the problem lies in the php script itself, it is changing the ownership of the folders and files to the webserver which then renders any efforts to delete them useless, so unfortunately the only way to delete them is with (not 100% sure) root access and I doubt FOL with give u that access, lol, my suggestion would be to contact FOL to delete them then contact the script makers for a fix or try another script.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help m8

Platty

P.S. here's a couple of links to get you started.

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Image_Galleries/
http://gallery.menalto.com/
N/A

PHP Script Permissions

Cheesy
Thanks Platty, you're help has been most apreciated and now i've learnt about telenet. I'll probaly try a new script as you sugested. Thanks again.