cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHP 8M Memory Limit

N/A

PHP 8M Memory Limit

PHPInfo on the CGI server shows memory_limit at 8Mb. I'd really like to try out using the Typo3 CMS and the CGI servers appear to have everything I need except for this limit needing to be higher.
Is there any way to increase it? On my test webserver [on my LAN] it's a breeze to up the limit in php.ini [rumour has it that 32M is needed]!
Or am I flogging a dead horse here?
4 REPLIES
N/A

PHP 8M Memory Limit

Currently there are parts in TYPO3 requiring more than the usual 8MB memory configured in the php.ini files of default installations. In many cases this is not at all a problem since that memorylimit is ignored unless support for it has been compiled into PHP (or if you are running PHP as CGI).

But the bottom line is - configure for at least 16 MB memory. If you don't do that and have problems nobody is going to help you until you have set the limit to 16 MB or above.

It's still uncertain whether the "problem" will be solved. Certain applications will just require more than 8MB and it doesn't get any different ever. Other parts can be optimized.

In general TYPO3 is not for low-end systems so don't try TYPO3 on your old 486...

That site looks sexy.
Just on a slightly related note:
Does Force9 have a policy about content management systems, since they do open the system up to abuse (i.e. remote modifications of files -> perhaps enables a hacker to execute arbitrary code?)
:?: :?:
N/A

PHP 8M Memory Limit

Sorry to be thick about this... I read that quote on the Typo3 developer's site and assumed that, since F9 use CGI servers, PHP would be running as CGI. So, I deduce from the quote that 8M is not enuf and therefore, it's not going to work reliably on the F9 CGI servers unless the memory_limit variable value is upped.
If this is the case, my question then is, how does a mere user increase that limit?
N/A

PHP 8M Memory Limit

I would imagine a meer user doesn't, as its going to be set on PHP startup, which will be when Apache is started. You could riase a link:Contact Us asking if it could be increased.
N/A

PHP 8M Memory Limit

Discovered that it is possible to use the .htaccess file to increase certain PHP configuration settings. I don't know whether doing this is going to upset F9 or not. I may raise a ticket to ask [unless anyone knows].
Did a phpinfo on the CGI server today and discovered the memory_limit was showing as 16M. I'm sure it was 8M when I checked it before. Maybe I'm going blind :?
16M is enough for me...I hope...

Thanx for the help.