cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDA - Bluetooth and Router

MadBob
Grafter

OK time for a new problem (although the VPN is still open for takers)

I have a Sony Clie T675 PDA and a MS BT Dongle, my PC has a Belkin USB BT Dongle and I would like to get them talking,

I was connected previously with the ADSL "Modem" using Mocha PPP, the connection was a bit patchy but I could surf in the bath (small person big bath) Smiley

but now I have a Router I am struggling to figure out the connections, I can set the BT PC Dongle and Pair the PDA +BT I can also Hotsync via BT, and the PDA connects to the PC (Belkin software lights up to show the throughput)

the LAN BT connection IP is 192.168.0.20 and although I know at some level the PDA has connected to the PC I cannot Ping from the PDA to the IPs on any PC on the network (Palm Ping software or Another one here)

nor can I connect to the Web or Email,

I haven't been using the PDA for as while (so many gadgets so little time) but I need to dig it back out again and play.

I suspect part of my problem is I cannot get RRAS to allow me to check 'remote access server' and re-start, it errors out.

this I also suspect is what is giving me problems with VPN.[/url]
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

When you say "MS BT Dongle" I presume you mean that you use a MemoryStick Bluetooth card?

Secondly, which Operating System is in use on the computer?

Thomas
MadBob
Grafter

Windows 2000 server with a Netgear 814 Router and NAT running,
Community Veteran

Good... haveing a recent version of Windows will help.

What I'd advise doing is looking through this thread on ClieSource. Smiley

Thomas
MadBob
Grafter

Thanks but I had already looked round Cliesource (amongst others) before asking here,

they only deal with using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which you cannot use with a Router that is already set up on an Internet Connection Server with NAT enabled.

annoying thing is I found a link about 6 months ago before I had a Router(whilst trying to find info on ICS +BT) but cannot find it again.

my setup has a LAN (using DHCP / DNS) connected to an Internet Connection Server, that is connected to an ADSL Router, all the machines on the LAN or connected to the Router can access the Web (thanks in no small part to Task) but my Clie can only connect to the PC to Hotsync via BT but not access the web
Community Veteran

Hmm. Ok. I'll have a dig around - I'm an experienced Palm user myself, but I've never used a Sony, so the implementation of BlueTooth could be different to what I'm used to with the Tungsten|T I used to have.

Thomas
N/A

they only deal with using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which you cannot use with a Router that is already set up on an Internet Connection Server with NAT enabled.

If I gave you that impression, then I apologise. I think you could use ICS with a router, though it would then mean you were doing Network Address Translation twice, once in the router, and once in the ICS host. It would mean, that as far as the router was aware, all the hosts on your 192.168.0.0/24 network would seem to be a single host, with the IP address 192.168.1.2 (the IP address of the ICS host, as seen by the router). It would also mean that when you open up a port for incoming traffic, you'd have to do so twice, once on the router, directing the traffic to 192.168.1.2, and then again on the ICS host, directing the traffic to the IP address of the host to which you really want it to go.

I suppose, if you wanted to, in that sort of setup, on the router, you could specify 192.168.1.2 as the "DMZ" host and then let the ICS host do all the work (the same as it does when using an ADSL modem). I think, with ICS, you have to specify which interface the ICS applies to, and you would set it up on the 192.168.1.2 interface.

Hope that corrects a possible misunderstanding!
MadBob
Grafter

@ Task
If you try to enable ICS on the NIC connected to the Router it says you must disable NAT before doing this.

@kuglin
it seems to be the Windows 2000 part of the setup that is wrong not the Palm OS side, as I Pointed out I can Hotsync with BT so it is connecting to the PC but I cannot ping the PC from the Clie, not even the IP of the BT connection 192.168.0.20 I can't understand how it can connect to the PC but not ping!