cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI modem problems

N/A

PCI modem problems

Hello,

Anyone out there having problems with intermittent loss of sync using the Dynamode A220 PCI modem supplied by F9?

I have had my connection for 2 months and am being plagued by loss of sync, causing drop of connection. The modem then reconnects itself. I have tried connecting to both the master socket and the extension upstairs next to my PC.

A BT engineer came out to my house and told me that my line is fine. He also inspected the master socket and tightened some loose wiring. However, I am still getting problems. Sometimes the connection is fine for a day or two then for no reason I get constant loss of sync.

F9 seem to want to blame my PC, but I have downloaded the latest drivers XP for my machine.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has had similar problems. I think it may be the PCI modem which is at fault, as I am onto my second one.

Darren :?
5 REPLIES
N/A

PCI modem problems

i have the same modem and have been using it for 7 months without a single problem, have you tried contacting dynamode to see if there is any help they can give you
Community Veteran

PCI modem problems

Ugh, these modems are awful. I used to have the exact same problem. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you have all your Windows updates (i.e. SP1)... If it still doesn't work, I'm afraid you'll have to get yourself a router.

Thomas
N/A

PCI Modem problems

Hello,

Thanks guys. Thomas, what kind of router have you got, and is it easy to setup? How come plusnet are supplying these modems if they are not up to much?

I have asked them if they will supply a router instead but they insist that they will only refund cost of modem if they test it as faulty?

kind regards,

Darren
N/A

PCI modem problems

if these modems are so awful why do force 9 supply them?
N/A

PCI modem problems

Presumably, because they found them satisfactory in their own tests, they have a source which provides them cheaply, and customers like a "package" they can subscribe to in which the up-front costs disappear because they are absorbed into a monthly payment and therefore aren't too bothered about the exact equipment supplied (which seems to be a "freebie" anyway).

I imagine that, even if they supplied some other modem, there would still be a proportion of customers who had problems on their particular systems, and who claimed the modem was garbage. Whichever modem is supplied if it isn't "fit for purpose" then under British law you have legal recourse against your supplier.

Personally, I've always favoured routers rather than modems as a way of obtaining operating system independence and of avoiding problems with drivers (those for Ethernet adapters being mature technology), power requirements, and CPU utilisation which some modem users have experienced.