cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express 'unsafe attachment' problem

N/A

Outlook Express is blocking certain email attachments (e.g. Excel, Word and Noteworthy files, but not .jpg images).
Appends the following note to the email: "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail...."
I have not set any mail rules to provoke this. How can I fix it?
Using OE 6 and XP Pro.

John.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Go to tools / options / security and untick the box that says it wont allow what it thinks are unsafe attachements.
N/A

johnessex - thanks for swift reply - that fixed it!

Sadly, searching the OE Help didn't bring up a useful response to words like 'unsafe', 'attachment', 'access', etc.

John.
N/A

OE help

Hi John,
OE is notoriously aweful for its help files, this is because its a Microsoft Free email client program and so MS offer little or no end user support. This includes information in the helpfiles being extremely limited. However on a plus side it is a very good program for a freebee. So we shouldnt complain too much.

Cool Ivan
N/A

Re: OE help

... However on a plus side it is a very good program for a freebee. So we shouldnt complain too much.

Cool Ivan

I'm with ya on that. I think OE gets a really bad press. Most of the 'security' issues are actually feature abuse, and it's OK once well patched providing you're carefull.

The problem with the fix above is that it's a bit brutal, and once off stays off. Maybe a dialog with a little more info for the user, and a default turn back on after opening/saving an attachement you really want.

Dunno, sorry to ramble I just wnated to agree is all. Shockedops:
N/A

Personaly I'd recomend another freebie email programme called Mozilla Thunderbird. see www.mozilla.org
Although it's only prerelease, it does have a number of security features OE misses out on.
Excellent junk mail filter too.
N/A

In situations like this I right click the email and select Forward, which opens the email in a new window and the attachment can then be opened....with care!