Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express overload problem!

newinvention
Grafter

Outlook Express overload problem!

Hi!

Can any technical wizards out there help me with an Outlook Express problem (OE6)? I use a PC with Windows 98 which was rebuilt last year with bigger processor etc.

My Sent Items folder is getting so full (several 1000 ... ahem), I'm beginning get "cannot open sent items folder" messages from OE, suggesting low system resources/memory.

Thing is I have to keep almost all sent items since I rarely print anything out these days and need to keep a record of everything I've sent. I have never worked out if I can archive sent items so that they can be easily retrieved for reference.

I've made sub-folders within Sent Items and move big batches of sent emails to these folders every 6-12 months or so.

I know that OE is a database-based bit of software, but don't really understand how it functions. Does making sub folders help distribute the burden, for example?

I may start getting the problem with other OE folders soon, so does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks!
SJ
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Outlook Express overload problem!

You can create new folders in Outlook Express itself, if you need help on doing this then post again and I will tell you how its done. You can copy e-mails from Outlook Express to a new folder but this method will take longer. There are more details on both methods below.

1 It is possible to copy e-mails from your "sent items" folder (in Outlook Express) to a new folder, you may create a new folder on your desktop, call it "Emails" or something that you can remember what its contents are, both Outlook and your new folder need to be open and you can click and drag each item to this new folder.

2 Better still, if you can create new folders within Outlook Express then you can select all e-mails by first, clicking on say the first e-mail, go to "edit" menu and click "select all", once all e-mails are selected right click somewhere in the selected area and click on "move to folder" and select the folder(S) you've created to move your e-mails there.
N/A

Have you had any luck with that Sarah?

Regards

Melodytune
newinvention
Grafter

Hi Melodytune,

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your helpful suggestion re my overloaded OE. I have made sub folders within Sent Items and cut and pasted emails into these in date batches. I'll study what you say and try it out ... I have to do something!

Thanks for your suggestions!
Best wishes, Sarah
N/A

> Hi Melodytune,
>
> Sorry for taking so long to reply to your helpful suggestion re my overloaded OE. I have made sub folders within Sent Items and cut and pasted emails into these in date batches. I'll study what you say and try it out ... I have to do something!
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!
> Best wishes, Sarah

Thanks Sarah for your kind comments, and best of luck sorting your problem out, any queries, let us know.

Regards

Chris (Melodytune)