cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express Folders Option

N/A

Having received an email with attachment and clicking on the attachment to open it in Outlook Express I have a box on the screen asking "Do you want to open this file" When I click to open the file another box comes up "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an option in the Folders Option control panel. How do I create such a Folder and how can I view the attachment from there.
Help please as I am new to this problem and getting on in years!!
3 REPLIES
N/A

OE and openning file attachment, Ivan

Hello,

I used to use Outlook Express alot some years ago. OK!! the problem you have here is that computers have software written by different companies and each of these companies gives their own files a unique file format. The first part of the file is usually called the "stem" & the end of the file after the dot which is just a seperator is called then "extension". For an experienced user its often possible to tell what kind of program the file was created in by looking at the extension alone.

An example of this that might be MIcrosoft created MS-Word for word processing and so documents created in this program would have a .doc file format. So if you sent me a file attachment with a .doc file I would have to therefore have MS-Word program on my own computer in order to be able to open or view this file.

Now the problem you have is that the file sent to you as a file attachment is one that your computer cannot find a matching program (software) to open the attachment file with.

**If the the file was say an image file or photo file, picture (such as a .JPG, or .GIF or .BMP or TIFF) then most windows computers come with a program MS- Paint so your computer would associate the .BMP file with the program ms-paint and open the file no problem. But the problem here is that both windows itself nor outlook express can find a program (software on your machine) that is suitable to open this file automatically, so it tries to do the next best thing and its asking you if you know which kind of program which you do have on your PC can be used to open this file (Its offering you a choice assuming you know of course).

**If you can tell me what kind of file the attachment is then I might be able to offer more assistence?

Ivan
N/A

Hello Ivan,

Thanks for your information - have now saved attachment it to my hard disc and opened the message in PowerPoint.

Many thanks for your advice.

Keith
N/A

Hi Keith,

No! Problem your welcome!

Ivan