cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express 6 keeps crashing (maybe a virus?)

N/A

Outlook Express 6 keeps crashing (maybe a virus?)

Hello everyone!.

Im posting this looking for some help, and to warn you there may be a virus out there that wrecks Outlook Express.

I'm running a brand new P4 2.4 Ghz computer,
with Windows XP.. everything is running fine.
appart last night when i collected email.
It connected to PlusNets mail server, told me it was downloading new email, then the program stopted responding. I couldnt use ctrl/alt/delete to kill this program and close my pc down properly, as it make my whole computer freeze.
and thus has never happened before.

I have all the up-to-date Norton 2002 anti-virus defs, updated once every week, and it shows no sign of a virus.

But the min i open up Outlook Express 6 now, it automatically starts to download mail, then freezes. and the pc too.

I have logged into my PlusNet mail box via the web, and there is nothing in there to cause anything, other than a PayPal receipt.

So i now open up Outlook Express 6 while im offline, so it wont freeze up.
and i notice now, the emails currently on my inbox, outbox or anywhere on this program, CAN NOT be deleted.

When i try hit the delete button nothing happens, nor does the right click delete.

Then when i close the program im told several mails couldnt be deleted and that there is an error. thats all. no more details!.

I have tried a system restore, makes no difference.
i have even tried to go into add/remove programs so i can unistall and reinstall, but im not given this option on XP.
other than an option to remove the link to Outlook on my PC.

Is there any way of repairing this program on Windows XP?. i have tried going to Microsofts site to re download this, but for XP it seems i can't.

My whole computer took 4 months to install, and i really don't want to delete the whole PC just to fix this.. as everything else works.

Anyone out there know of this problem?
or how to repair Outlook Express on Windows XP?

I recall Windows 98, you could unintall it, and re download it and repair it etc...
but this option has gone on Windows XP.
I havent done anything other than download some mail last night.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.
--
Jason
=====
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Outlook Express 6 keeps crashing (maybe a virus?)

> Hello everyone!.
>
> Im posting this looking for some help, and to warn you there may be a virus out there that wrecks Outlook Express.
>
> I'm running a brand new P4 2.4 Ghz computer,
> with Windows XP.. everything is running fine.
> appart last night when i collected email.
> It connected to PlusNets mail server, told me it was downloading new email, then the program stopted responding. I couldnt use ctrl/alt/delete to kill this program and close my pc down properly, as it make my whole computer freeze.
> and thus has never happened before.
>
> I have all the up-to-date Norton 2002 anti-virus defs, updated once every week, and it shows no sign of a virus.
>
> But the min i open up Outlook Express 6 now, it automatically starts to download mail, then freezes. and the pc too.
>
> I have logged into my PlusNet mail box via the web, and there is nothing in there to cause anything, other than a PayPal receipt.
>
> So i now open up Outlook Express 6 while im offline, so it wont freeze up.
> and i notice now, the emails currently on my inbox, outbox or anywhere on this program, CAN NOT be deleted.
>
> When i try hit the delete button nothing happens, nor does the right click delete.
>
> Then when i close the program im told several mails couldnt be deleted and that there is an error. thats all. no more details!.
>
> I have tried a system restore, makes no difference.
> i have even tried to go into add/remove programs so i can unistall and reinstall, but im not given this option on XP.
> other than an option to remove the link to Outlook on my PC.
>
> Is there any way of repairing this program on Windows XP?. i have tried going to Microsofts site to re download this, but for XP it seems i can't.
>
> My whole computer took 4 months to install, and i really don't want to delete the whole PC just to fix this.. as everything else works.
>
> Anyone out there know of this problem?
> or how to repair Outlook Express on Windows XP?
>
> I recall Windows 98, you could unintall it, and re download it and repair it etc...
> but this option has gone on Windows XP.
> I havent done anything other than download some mail last night.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Jason
> =====

N/A

I had the same problem the same as jason yesterday my pc is 1 month old dell 2.4 and nortons is up to date. I thought it was a virus as i got a virus warning a couple of days ago. But I have scanned the pc several times and have come up with nothing. Although Today it seems to have cleared up. I can access e-mail with out the pc freezing but I have lost all e-mails which I recived yesterday and know there is a problem with my browser.

R Singh
N/A

I had the same problem the same as jason yesterday my pc is 1 month old dell 2.4 and nortons is up to date. I thought it was a virus as i got a virus warning a couple of days ago. But I have scanned the pc several times and have come up with nothing. Although Today it seems to have cleared up. I can access e-mail with out the pc freezing but I have lost all e-mails which I recived yesterday and know there is a problem with my browser.

R Singh
N/A

Hello R,

Well firstly everthing has fixed itself now! Smiley
don't ask me how.. or even why this happend.

This was very strange, and i had it since last night, till just 1 hour gone there.. so it was like a 24 hour bug on my mail program.

I was up all last night worried how i was going to repair this, i couldnt stand to wipe my PC then start all over again, as i have bought programs, and licence keys.. etc..
it would have took months to re setup.

Anyway, i just loged back in there, and checked my mail @ PlusNet web based mail.
because every mail i download i couldnt delete it.
I kept getting a pop up, cant delete this mail.

I suspect it was some trojan some script kiddy has made. im worried now thou about my passwords.
maybe Norton didn't pick it up as it was just out out yesterday?.

These things do happen.. get into your mail, and send passwords to the programmer. then after its done its job, dissapear!.
and this is exactly what has happend.
Everything is working fine now.

But im still going to change all my passwords.
just incase!.

Beware of this bug people, it will freak you out!.
it was really nasty.
--
Jason
=====
johnmglen
Grafter

Jason, presumably you have the email protection enabled in Norton AV 2002? It should have thoroughly scanned your incoming email. It sounds to me, like you may just have suffered a problem in outlook all on its own but it could be a virus (although it seems, with respect, unlikely).

As an extra backup, are you running a firewall (not the limited XP one). Zonealarm is very capable and its free. www.zonelabs.com. It also scans e mail for suspicious activity. Hope your problems have gone for good.

Regards
N/A

> Hello R,
>
> Well firstly everthing has fixed itself now! Smiley
> don't ask me how.. or even why this happend.
>
> This was very strange, and i had it since last night, till just 1 hour gone there.. so it was like a 24 hour bug on my mail program.
>
> I was up all last night worried how i was going to repair this, i couldnt stand to wipe my PC then start all over again, as i have bought programs, and licence keys.. etc..
> it would have took months to re setup.
>
> Anyway, i just loged back in there, and checked my mail @ PlusNet web based mail.
> because every mail i download i couldnt delete it.
> I kept getting a pop up, cant delete this mail.
>
> I suspect it was some trojan some script kiddy has made. im worried now thou about my passwords.
> maybe Norton didn't pick it up as it was just out out yesterday?.
>
> These things do happen.. get into your mail, and send passwords to the programmer. then after its done its job, dissapear!.
> and this is exactly what has happend.
> Everything is working fine now.
>
> But im still going to change all my passwords.
> just incase!.
>
> Beware of this bug people, it will freak you out!.
> it was really nasty.
>
> --
> Jason
> =====

Hello - I had a problem with an earlier version of outlook express when I was with aol, it would freeze for no reason and I had to crash out, I was told by aol I had conflicting software - whatever that is. I changed to outlook express 6 and Plus net and have only frozen once in the last couple of weeks. I run 98 tho Xp -Sheila