cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for home network

N/A

Options for home network

Very simply I was wondering what kit i needed to set up a small home network for 2 or possibly 3 computers.

Can I just buy a adsl modem and plug something like a small hub into it and run the cables to the computers? Or do you need direct connection of one computer to the modem? Would the *main* computer then need to be switched on all the time?

My main issue is price at the moment - would love to put in a wireless router jobbie for 1 laptop - but not sure budget could stretch that far!
What would i need to do this anyway - my skills are severely lacking on the networking front - have only done the connection through another comp (ICS) so far using a patch but that might not be appropriate for this setup.

Thanks in advance - Chris
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Options for home network

Setting up a home network in this way, can be hard, but so long as you understand how the connection flows (or at least the theory, maybe not the technical side), you will understand what equipment to purchase.

There are 3 options with ADSL.

1: Purchase a router & modem combo unit (IE Zyxel 643).

This is a switch/hub, router and ADSL modem built into one.

It includes a DHCP server, though not many bells and whistles more.

If setting up a computer for a network for the first time, you suualy plug it into the network, and off you go, connected to the internet (If it's an existing network, simply chage the setting to obtain IP autogaicaly).

2: USB. See the next one, PCI

3: PCI.

These modems are internal devices, veyr much like your existing 56K modem.

However, both PCI and USB drain your computers CPU more, as most of the processing of the ADSL traffic is done by thr CPU, and not the modem.

With 2 & 3, to share your internet connection, you have to have one computer on all the time, when the internet is needed, and you usualy need firewall software (though smaller firewall software is recomended on all systems).

Number 1 is best. It's for the most part, plug-n-surf.

You can go purchase DSL routers that combine router, modem, switch/hub and Wireless gateway. While it may set you back a few extra pounds, the saving overall (by adding it later) can be amazing.
N/A

> Very simply I was wondering what kit i needed to set up a small home network for 2 or possibly 3 computers.
>
> Can I just buy a adsl modem and plug something like a small hub into it and run the cables to the computers? Or do you need direct connection of one computer to the modem? Would the *main* computer then need to be switched on all the time?
>
> My main issue is price at the moment - would love to put in a wireless router jobbie for 1 laptop - but not sure budget could stretch that far!
> What would i need to do this anyway - my skills are severely lacking on the networking front - have only done the connection through another comp (ICS) so far using a patch but that might not be appropriate for this setup.
>
> Thanks in advance - Chris

N/A

Oops. Sorry guys (and gals). My mouse finger twitched. Anyway, as a novice to networks and ADSL, it took me longer than it should to get everything up and running.

My experience with computers is that in general, you always need something more. Even if you are setting up one PC, for not much more I would get a modem/router hub all in one and forget the USB modem. I use a DSL504 and once I got past the manual(which always leaves out a crucial bit of info which is only obvious when you have managed the setup process), everything has been fine.

I run a small network and the only thing left is to sort out the email side of things.