cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on 2 DSL Modem/Routers please?

N/A

Opinions on 2 DSL Modem/Routers please?

I have recently ordered the F9 self install ADSL and am now shopping around for a router/modem combo.

The one that seems to be recommended on the F9 site is the D-Link DSL-504 (http://www.action.com/uk/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=DLKNA02502), has anyone had any good/bad experiences with this?

I am also looking at the SPEEDTOUCH 510 4 PORT(http://www.dslsource.co.uk/st5104si.asp?idShop=6). This is more expensive and seems to do a similar range of things, again if anyone has had good or bad experiences with this I would love to hear.

Either reply here or you can contact me by e-mail.

Thanks
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Opinions on 2 DSL Modem/Routers please?

Also, possibly looking at this one...

NETGEAR DG814 ADSL ROUTER - SELF INSTALL PACK

http://www.dslsource.co.uk/dg814.asp?idShop=28
N/A

I have an Alcatel SpeedTouch 510 (which I obtained from DSLSource - www.dslsource.co.uk); mine is the single-port model which I connect to a 10/100 Mbps switch. I'm very pleased with the router, which does everything I need. The documentation is not brilliant, but I get the impression that's par for the course with these devices. One point to bear in mind with this router is that the hub - and I think it is a hub rather than a switch (a switch is better) is 10 Mbps rather than 10/100 Mbps - I believe both the D-Link and Netgear products use 10/100 Mbps switches, and so are preferable if you're intending to use the router as a hub/switch.

The Netgear is the newest of these routers, having become available only in the last few weeks - it seems to have become popular very quickly, presumably based on features-performance/price. I'm not sure if this router has a proper firewall - I know the spec sheet says it has but some people on the uk.telecom.broadband newsgroup have questioned this, saying that the firewall is a side-effect of "NAT" rather than a proper firewall in its own right, so if you have a "No-NAT" connection (not very likely) you cannot get any firewalling from the router. Also, it seems you cannot actually turn off NAT, although a firmware upgrade available just about now will fix this. This router definitely has a 10/100 Mbps switch.

The D-Link is a firm favourite of many people who post on the broadband newsgroup, and in my "lurking" no specific points about it have stuck in my mind. Simply seems to do what it should. Check that it has a 10/100 Mbps switch - I *think* it does.

I reckon any of these routers will prove to be satisfactory.
N/A

Hi,

I bought the Alcatel Speed Touch Pro ADSL Router in Jan, before all the other models came out. Have had no problems, it sits there doing its job. This was in the early days of self install, and the documentation isn't really up to it. Throw the manual in the bin and use one of DSL's quick set-up guides as a starter. I am not a techie, so had a couple of problems getting it going, but the support from DSL Source was superb. A couple of phone calls (no queue) later had it running. They also supplied the filter.
Have fun, it's worth every penny.
Martin