cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oops! Probably don't find out when you're getting regraded.

deepfatfrier
Grafter

Not sure if this is a universal thing, but it worked for me, and my exchange isn't getting done 'til the 25th.

1. Go to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
2. Type in your phone number and postcode.
3. Click on the "BT ADSL" button on the left. In the page that appears, there should be a line saying "Capacity is due to be increased on XX/XX/2005"

If it doesn't for you, sorry Sad
I just thought i'd post here as it says a date for both me and my friend, and since BT seem to be being very vague about exactly when people's exchanges are being done, I thought I'd try to help Cheesy

This seems to be wrong now, damn my wishful thinking :twisted:
Post if it works or doesn't work for you anyway, and any mods who want to delete this thread, it might be a good idea ^_^
16 REPLIES
N/A

that appears to be increase in the backhaul capacity of the exchange and nothing to do with the free speed upgrades, F9 offer an identical service from within the usertools

Darren
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Really? I would have thought one trip was easier than two... :?
I just assumed it was because there are 3 exchanges (which my friends and I are on) all on the speed upgrade list for May, and all with dates on that site for sometime this month...
It's a VP upgrade, so really it'd be sensible to do it all at once (although this is BT we're on about here).
Postpone the judgment, I'll tell you on the 25th of May :lol:

EDIT: Thinking about it, for exchanges with lots of DSLAMs, that might be a lot of work for the BT employees (not suggesting anything about them tho Wink).
Still, tell you on the 25th anyway Tongue
win2003
Grafter

usertools has now been updated to tell you the DSLAM ID and regrade month if you enter the phone no. May not work for all numbers though. Thanks to Mr T & Co.

XXX_DSL_01    Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in May 2005

You are on the DSLAM known as XXX_DSL_01.
N/A

Verry useful tool, so thanks for posting it. However, when I check out my line, I get the following:

BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Shepshed (EMSHEPS) telephone exchange.

Your exchange is enabled for ADSL!

The following level of service is available at your location:

[BT ADSL Code: GGEC] You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GGEC] You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GGEC] You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GGEC] You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 402 metres from the exchange (straight line distance).

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

Your BT ADSL code is: GGEC

I assume that this means that the exchange has already been upgraded, but that there is a problem preventing me from receiving the 2Mb connection - which is probably why I am still seeing 512kb as the connection speed on my router.. Any clues as to how I set about finding out what the problem is? Any help appreciated!
deepfatfrier
Grafter

I'd just like to point out that this isn't a tried and tested way of doing this, I just found that after trying this with about 5 friends and myself, the dates which that checker came up with happened to fall into the months which the BT regrade schedule said with regards to their exchanges.

As it doesn't say a date, click on the link for your exchange - "Shepshed (EMSHEPS)" ought to be a link - and see under "Exchange capacity information", and see if there is a date by "VP upgrade due". As I say, I'm not totally sure this 100% works, I've just had a 6/6 success rate so far! Wink
N/A

Hi again. I appreciate it's not necessarily reliable, but I found the bit you were talking about, and it says:

VP upgrade due: None planned

So that's either not going to be done, or it's been done, or it just doesn't work for me. Oh well.

If you are interested, this is the actual link:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=EMSHEPS

Thanks anyway - I'll just hang on and see what happens - nothing yet though and it was supposedly due in May. Sad
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Same with me, mine was due May (as also said the VP upgrade date).
Sounds like with both of us BT are behind schedule, but that still means that my unproven theory has been disproven! :lol:
I'll edit the post accordingly, and this is a formal invite for any mods - delete this thread if you like, it's a bit pointless now it's wrong... :roll:
N/A

You may find (like me) that the upgrade has already been processed and BT have failed your line. You wil have no way of finding out unless someone from CS posts here or you raise a ticket to ask the question.

Regards

Mark
deepfatfrier
Grafter

I'm currently on 512K and most certainly shouldn't be failing the line test for 1MB, I'm just about borderline for 2MB. :shock:

I'm just under 3km from the exchange, with a 45dB attenuation according to my router. This is just a bit lower than the 60dB limit for 1MB :lol:

I did hear that you didn't get informed if you failed the initial line tests, but I certainly hope I shouldn't be! If nothing happens within a month or so, I'll open a ticket and find out...
N/A

The checker said that I was 2.4km from exchange (straight line) and I definately could not get 2mbits.....

Downstream  Upstream  

SNR Margin 14.3 30.0 dB
Line Attenuation 46.3 28.5 dB
Data Rate 2272 288 kbps

I do get quite a few errors occuring but its still very fast (230KB/s) and not a problem playing CS: Source. Don't notice the errors tbh, only reason I know about them is because my router tells me!

Hope that helps.....
deepfatfrier
Grafter

I must have a pretty good line in that case! samknows.com says I'm 2.98km out, and I get these figures...
US Margin  	26

DS Margin 28
DS Line Attenuation 45
US Line Attenuation 62

Now I look at it, my upstream attenuation is much higher than my downstream, whereas yours is much lower... :?
I'll see what happens, it's good that F9 are putting a portal tool in so you can choose your own sync speed. I'll see how reliable 2MB turns out to be, and if it cuts out a lot I'll drop back to 1.
N/A

Well then mine must be great? :?

Line Attenuation
DS 11 db
US 5 db

Noise Margin
DS 31 db
US 31 db

And I'm only 400m or so from the exchange!

I think I'll take that earlier advice and raise a ticket to see if there was a problem...
N/A

Well then mine must be great? :?

Away with you ! and your supreme phone line ! :twisted:

Yes those are excellent stats Tongue
N/A

Cheesy Cool, so there is hope after all then!