Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Gaming Bandwidth and Fair Usage

Voodoo
Dabbler

Hi,

How much Band width is taken for online gaming, and will this impact on the amount of bandwidth a person gets under the fair usage scheme.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Fair useage & online gaming

Take a look at your monthly useage to get an idea. Logon & go to your account information, choose account details, then under other links (right side) go to Your monthly useage (or something like that). that will give you a very good idea of how much data you are downloading each month. There is another link at the bottom of this page to actually see the breakdown for your entire billing period (month) which is quite handy.

I was curious about that same question as well. When I looked at my own stats I was seeing roughly 4 - 6 GB per month, so not bad. Start throwing in some large game / beta downloads & of course you'll see higher than normal numbers. Hope that helps.
N/A

Gaming useage

Hi,

My guess is that online gaming IS NOT considered a seperate subject for bandwidth useage & wont therefore be shown apart from other through put in the new "view my useage" tool that will be seen shortly. Online gaming is just data like anything else no matter how much or little you use.

Ivan
N/A

hi, just a suggestion, but if you can view your connection status on your PC (two flashing PCs in system tray, if shown), and it shows it in bytes (and not packets) then you could go online, play for an hour or so, and take a look at how much download bandwidth you use per hour.

Looking on portal is also good as quigfam says, but remember the fair usage does not count upload bandwidth and the portal currently shows total upload and download, so your fair usage total should be a bit less than this ! Smiley

From games I play (cs:s, c&c/bfme) it tends to use less than 10KB/s download when i have viewed in-game stats (and usually less than 5KB/s!) which totals less than 35MB per hour (18MB for 5KB/s)... but dont hold me to that as i havent thoroughly checked Wink It has to use low amounts as it has to work for 56k users!!

FYI worms armageddon used to use less than a MB per hour! Tongue

Hope I have helped a bit
Voodoo
Dabbler

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, the reason I ask is that I have suddenly gotten back into gamming after playing Halo, Call of Duty and a few other games, I am now hooked on gamming again as the advances to what I was playing are so great.

The other night I took my first venture into online gaming with Call of Duty and 3 hours later and @ 2am I had to drag my self to bed, but the fun playing in a team and against others is so much better than single player.#

Oh yeah the Wife isnt impressed with my regression into games lol.

As its seems to take little bandwidth I can see me becoming a regular player.

Thanks for the help
N/A

Sounds like another internet widow in the making!! Oh!! Goude :roll: sorry! gaming leaves me completely cold cannot see what all the big deal fuss is about. Frankly I'd rather have my shut eye personaly, but hay!! what ever floats your boat as they say!!.
Ivan