cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On routers

N/A

On routers

Hi Ted,

Yep! Linux can be a pretty sobering experience I have to say, I decided that MS windows is bad enough but that I just didnt want to end up turning my brains inside out yet again to learn yet another OS. I've had enough headaches to last one life time let alone more.

Ted if your going to purchase a router look for one that not only comes with a firewall built in but one that also provides NAT (network address translation) as having reading through alot of F9 forum postings lots of people mention how useful NATs is, especially if you have multiple PC's or servers behined your firewall router.

Ivan Cool
6 REPLIES
N/A

Suse Linux 9.2 Pro - Configuring ADSL PCI Modem? HELP!

Firslty, I apologise if this is posted somewhere, but I have searched and not found a great deal on this site. I've also read this tutorial http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4883 but that relates to dial up. I also found this : http://portal.f9.net.uk/support/connecting/linux.shtml but that looks even harder!!

I have just installed Suse Linux 9.2 Pro and am trying to work out how to tell it to use my ADSL PCI Internal Modem. The Windows installation exe was much easier and I just put in the values I was told to into the program. But I can't work out with Linux.

During the installation, the device is seen and detected - that much I do know. But I cannot for the life me work out how to give it the settings it needs. For example, I've tried the 'DSL' setting in the Control Panel. But when I click on 'Great Britain' no providers appear in the list. So i try to add Force 9, but then it asks for IP addresses etc which I don't know and was not given for Windows. I've read a lot in the Linux stuff that you need to know the 'secret server IP address' of the ISP. Does anyone know what it is for Force 9?

Anyway, I then put my username in and password but of course it doesn't work because it doesn't know where to connect. The windows one had settings like 'Modulation - G.dmt', 'Wiring Selection - Line Tip/Ring', 'ADSL Head End - Alcatel Network Systems Inc', Encapsulation Mode 'PPP over ATM', Of those settings, the only one's I've found in Linux are the Encapsulation Mode and the VCI (which I've put in as 0.38 on one line but I don't even know if that's correct).

Can anyone tell me, in simple terms (I'm a total Linux noob) what to do. As in, Step 1, open X located within Y, Step 2 enter the X details in fields 1, 2 and 3 etc.

I really want to get into Linux but if I have to reboot and use Windows to use the net I'll never get along.

Thanks very much

Ted
N/A

Hello Ted,

I've played around with Red Linux a few years ago just to see what all the hype was about. Ted the main problem you are probably coming up against (especially if you used Microsoft Windows for many years like me) is that any form or flavour of Linux talks a VERY different technical language (though this may have improved somewhat over the last few years to be fair so is more like MS windows than it used to be).

**Playing around with Red Hat made me realise just how "all pervasive" the Microsoft technical language has become, we windows users tend to take words like control panel, setup or installer etc for granted. The truth is that in Linux many of the same functions & feature are still present but confusingly they are called completely different things and so if your a Linux Virgin then it can all be extremely trying attempting to get one's head around new terms like KDE or window manager, or mounting a volume etc.

**Please could I make a suggestion if you havent done this yet, 1) look for an online user guide to Suse Linux 9.2 Pro possibly you'll find one in PDF file format or 2) buy yourself a beginners book on Suse Linux 9.2 Pro.

**Once you have guide or book it should tell you how to configure your PCI modem.

**Just because its Linux doesnt mean you need a secret IP number, you just need either the hostname or IP address of the F9 server for authenication purposes only as far as I am aware.

**Why dont you send a support ticket to F9 technical support people they deal with Linux all the time, I'm sure they could give some of the correct information to help you out.

**VPI=0 & VCI=38 is correct
**Encapsulation =PPPoATM
**Modulation=G.DMT or Multimode is OK too.
**Username & Password as is
**F9 Server IP address = 195.166.128.53
**Protocol=TCP/IP
**Authentication type=MD5 CHAP
**Compression=non
**IP type (either static IP or DHCP) should be static IP which you should have been given from F9 (usually starts with 212.56.XX.XX).

Hope this helps abit Ivan
fraserc
Grafter

Why not try a different router?

Ted,

I'm a long time SuSE user but not a great 'fiddler'. I like it because the facilites are so much greater and better than microdoze. I've picked up a lot of experience on configuration and normally can handle most things BUT when I signed up with f9 last year and got the modem (a Speedtouch USB) and found out the hoops I'd have to go through I gave up (just couldn't be bothered).

I went out and bought a USB/Ethernet router (Zoom ADSL X5) and it was a doddle. These routers (and all like them) have a web-browser based interface. I connected up the cables - router to the ADSL plug in the wall, ethernet cable between the PC and router, router to power and fired up the web browser on SuSE, put in the URL for the router, set it up as per the f9 instructions for any modem and had connection with f9 and the net in about ten minutes.

Then, last week, DISASTER! A power surge took out my router and I had to sort it quick (working on-line to Bournemouth - I'm in Scotland - mind you using XP (Ugh). Quick trip to a local dealer and came home with a wireless USB router (50-odd quid). I had this working in a few minutes with XP. Also bought a PCMCIA wireless card for the laptop - working just as quick.

The problem is that my PC is pretty new, SuSE doesn't recognise the wireless chip and and I'm still waiting for info from the manufacture so I can get it wireless with SuSE. It works wonderfully with an ethernet connection 'tho

The point of all this rambling is that linux support for the USB ADSL modems is pretty patchy and the setup is still complicated. Using an external router is the easy route and not too expensive.

As a last suggestion - try subscribing ot suse-linux-e-help@suse.com and posting a query there.. It's a great list and there's a huge pile of people all over the world who are happy to help with any problems.

Cheers,

Colin
N/A

Firslty, can I thank both of you for replying with such lengthy and substantial answers!

I too have kind of given up for now with the Linux route. I spent hours and hours trying to do it, and hardly made any progress, despite the superb interface of YAST. The trouble was I just did not get enough clues. With M$ Win it does at least say something like 'No connection', or 'Failed to verify password' or something, but everytime I fired up KInternet in Suse I got nothing. When I looked at the log it first said '0.38 not a recognised device' which is of course the VCI values and not a device anyway. Then it said something else after a messed about for a bit, but it never did work. And annoyingly, I had to reboot into Windows to get online to try and find the next step or answer...drove me mad after a few days!

So, I, like you, am pricing up the router route! I've read loads about how easy it is with Linux when you have a half decent router connected to your ADSL line and then to your Linux box. I'm just trying to make sure I get a failry decent one without spending too much cash! I've also got a couple of other older PC;s that I'd like to connect to it thus creating a little network. It should also enhance my secuirty because most of them have firewalls built in and hardware firewalls are much better than software ones anyway.

Suffice to say that until pay day comes I am sticking with Win XP. Will re-post to let you know how I get on once I've done it.

Thanks dudes

Ted
N/A

Hi Dudes

Eventually I got a Linksys WAG54G off e-Bay. Hooked her up, used the easy-to-use configuration page, and hey presto! Works with both Windows and Linux! Way easier than messing about with PCI Modems. Wish I had gone for the router option in the first place! Not only does it work better, but it never seems to disconnect either which is great, and now I can get my other machines netwroked together.

A bit confused about the firewall settings though. Out of the box I don't get 100% stealth on port scanning sites - most are stealthed but not all. Messed around with it somemore by sending certain port requests to an internal IP range that does not actaully exist (in terms of a computer sitting at it) and I get 100% stealth on all common ports, but not every single port. Not too worried because those that are replying are replying as closed, not open, but it still bothers me a little. ANyway, that's another story!

Now I'm gonna try and flog the PCI modem that I bought from F9. Should get £20 for it maybe. :-)
N/A

On a linux box (im not sure how this differs from distro to distro) you would need to do the following here

This is just for a gentoo install, but I imagine that most other distros would use the same route more or less.