cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Olympics 2012

N/A

Olympics 2012

Well done us eh?
Makes a change for Britain to be successful at something!
One in the eye for Jacques "hate the brits" Chirac Wink
15 REPLIES
N/A

Olympics 2012

too right, well put..... All we need now is for money to be increased to improve our athletes!!
csogilvie
Grafter

Olympics 2012

By 4 votes... 54 to 50.
N/A

Olympics 2012

Nothing for second place, ask the Parisians (how the heck do you spell that?)
I heard on the news that there will be temporary swimming pools, which will be moved around the country later on.
Do they get loads of buckets then, or do they have a powerful pump to get the water back into the tap, then draw it out elsewhere................
craigbrass
Grafter

Olympics 2012

YAY, thats cool, it brings ALOT to our economy aparently aswell. Didn't realise we won by such a close call though.
N/A

Olympics 2012

Don't you people pay taxes? I certainly did not want it here, I am only glad that I do not live in or arround London!
Alecto
Grafter

Olympics 2012

By 4 votes... 54 to 50.

If Chirac hadn't upset the two Finns by criticising their cooking, it would have been drawn at 52 all.

I hope it's only Londoners who end up paying for it till the year 2112 rather than the rest of the country. All of the last few Olympics have left the host city in massive debt. I'd hoped Paris would get it - it would be far more damaging than anything Blair could do to them.
The Euro set them on the way to ruin, and the Olympics would have finished them off.

That said, I'm looking forward to watching it. Tongue
N/A

Olympics 2012

Perhaps increase the congestion charge a bit more?

OK OK I'm sorry, [note to self - do not wind up the softy southerners]

Obviously there is a right way and a wrong way to do the whole Olympics thing, but if we can get it right the benefits should outweigh the negative impact. Its a good chance to show that we can still do something well, although I bet none of the merchandise will be "Made in GB"
Metalguru
Grafter

Olympics 2012

I had mentally prepared myself for us to lose in the penalty shoot out.

I'm so glad we didn't.
N/A

Olympics 2012

To some, todays announcement is fantastic. To others like me, it is another Blair white elephant, similar to the Millenium Dome that UK tax payers will carry the burden for for many years to come.

What a pity Paris lost out.
vic_newey
Grafter

Olympics 2012

Yet more debt for us to bear, and all the talk of the boost to tourist trade etc. how will that affect you & me ? more jobs ? all the souvenirs will be made in China no doubt & all the Delboys will make a killing but I am a profesional coronation flag seller & I've been out of work for years LOL Tongue Tongue
N/A

Olympics 2012

........ another Blair white elephant, similar to the Millenium Dome that UK tax payers will carry the burden for for many years to come.

What a pity Paris lost out.

I agree entirely.
N/A

Olympics 2012

In addition all the employment will be in London, where there is a shortage of labour anyway. Why cannot these things, if we have to have them be elsewhere. Also the centre of the population is not in the South, so that means more travelling for any Brits that want to attend.
Metalguru
Grafter

Olympics 2012

Did anyone else see one of the bid teams "presentation videos".

Nice sound track by M People (What have you done today .......)

But to show David Beckham .............. Doing a crossword ............... One from one of the broadsheets :!:

That's when I thought we'ad blown it.

I'm soooooo glad we didn't.
N/A

Olympics 2012

I reckon that it should definately be better for those outside London, particularly when you consider that a number of events will be held at existing venues around the country (footy, sailing etc), plus the fact that many of the training camps etc will be in places like Sheffield, Manchester etc.
We get some of the benefit, without all of the hassle Smiley
The one thing though that gets me wound up, is that the funding will come primarily from the public sector, however the majority of the money the event raises will go straight to the private sector. - Seems a little unfair for the majority of us?
But still I am pleased that we have the chance - I know, I know it doesn't make sense.