cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd connection problem

MadBob
Grafter

Odd connection problem

Yesterday I had a very strange connection problem, I could get online from my LAN but not from the actual Internet Connection Server itself, anyway after a lot of searching I finally found out something I had installed had altered my DNS settings on my DSL connection! (I always have NAV and MaCafee Firewall running)

but now I have another problem which I am assuming is related to the same problem as it has started after a reboot, I have a BSOD (Win2k Server) that tells me a driver has tried to corrupt the stack, but whereas I usually get a driver name there is nothing, I have done all the usual MSconfig selective start-up and I can boot in safe mode with networking, but I cannot find the driver,

I have uninstalled everything from the last few weeks and used the Windows 2k CD to do Recovery check and ran sfc.exe /scannow to check for original drivers,

what I need is a utility that will log everything as i boot and log the names so I can find out which driver is shafting me, I have doen the windows Bootlogging but it isn't telling me which driver is corrupt, only the loaded or not loaded ones from the selective startup,

if anyone knows of a good logging util please let me know

Cheers.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Odd connection problem

What you said about mysterious DNS changes rang a bell when I was reading this article on theregister.co.uk - http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/33187.html - to quote the article,

This Trojan is responsible for recent reports of strange DNS changes on systems as recently reported on NTBUGTRAQ

Dunno, but it might be that you've got a little trojan fiddling with your machine. If so, tauscan (http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/) is free for 30 days and seems to perform quite well in rooting out the little chaps.

Jon.
MadBob
Grafter

Odd connection problem

The driver problem was a clash in Win2k between NAV and Verifier (from run prompt) if you try to verify NAV drivers at startup it crashes your system, a known problem read here and one that I fixed by excluding the NAV drivers from the startup verifier.

still looking into the DNS change but it was probably a script from a web browse, and I am up to date with NAV and all my Win2k patches so theres sod all else I can do until a better patch comes out.[/url]
N/A

Odd connection problem

Ah ok, there wasn't much thinking behind my suggestion other than you'd had a DNS change and there's a new trojan wot does that... Shockedops:

Verifier's a new one on me - never seen that before. I just brought it up and apparently I'm not verifying anything at the moment - what benefits do you get from verifying drivers at startup, apart from hanging NAV? :lol:
MadBob
Grafter

Odd connection problem

Symantec I did have an attack and had to edit my registry and hosts file to get rid, the verifier does what it says on the tin, it verifies your drivers against a known to make sure they are not causing problems, unfortunately the NAV causes a problem when verified O_o

its an easy one to spot (the trojan) as Google stops working.
N/A

Odd connection problem

Ah, great, glad you managed to get it sorted. Damn wooden horses!

I've don't remember ever having any problems caused by corrupt/conflicting drivers, although I may have done and not figured out that this was the problem before taking some other action - reinstalling a service pack for instance, or junking cheap soundcards and installing Audigy :lol: Interesting tool though.