Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONSPEED

Mol2000
Dabbler

ONSPEED

Does F9 Support Onspeed download accelarator? -
Does anyone know of a better accelarator? - onspeed costs £25 pa.
mol2000@mol2000.f9.co.uk

Michael
10 REPLIES
N/A

Compression

Hi Michael,

I think your asking the wrong question here, as I understand this technology its completely independant of any ISP, this compression technology applies to the phone line itself NOT the account or the providor of the account. Its BT if anyone whom you should be asking about this, like does my current BT phone line support this and is there any cost in having it??.

Ivan
N/A

Re: Compression

Its BT if anyone whom you should be asking about this, like does my current BT phone line support this and is there any cost in having it??.

Ivan

Not even that, It's a client to a proxy service. If you can get internet access from a supported platform it'll work.

If you go for it let us know if it actually works, and more important whether you get any problems with secure sites, online banks etc. as some proxy services cause problems.

cheers
N/A

Client Proxy service

Hi mattley,

Are you sure its a client to proxy service thats a new one on me!! Of course you might be right, its only that nothing to that effect is stated overtley in the onspeed advertising information I've come across.

Ivan
N/A

ONSPEED

When your web browser requests a Web Page, the ONSPEED software redirects that request to the ONSPEED Compression Servers. They take the respective Web Page content, compresses it and sends it back down to the ONSPEED software which decompresses it and sends it to the Browser requesting the information. At the moment we have dedicated algorithms for:

Although I just assumed, and had to check to find out for sure.

Cheesy
N/A

Onspeed servers?

Hi mattley,

Thanks for that, its interesting. I wonder if all the onspeed servers do is compress and decompress (act like a funnel essentially?) the pages to speed up trasmission which doesnt neccessarily mean its a true proxy server if you want to split hairs about it technically. I guess its only really a proxy server if the onspeed servers retain copies of the pages (caches each page sent to them).

But the reason I doubte its a true proxy is that if you think about the number of users and the number of pages that might need to be cached at anyone time it would have to be one hell of a big proxy server or perhaps its a proxy server array (many proxies combined to act in unison). I still think that the onspeed servers are just compression decompression servers and nothing more.

But your right about one thing though its still a client server system

Ivan
Mol2000
Dabbler

ONSPEED

Have no idea how these things work but for orignial info ONSPEED is at www.onspeed.com
They make good claims and as i do not yet have broadband I am considering options.

Michael
N/A

ADSL service

Hi mol2000,

Na!! if you want my professional opinion for what its worth I'd definately go for ADSL and an F9 account you wont regtret it. My experience of ADSL has been outstanding, I feel that even just a basic 512K connection is extremely good and for the price involved its excellent value for money.

I had a basic 56K bronze dialup F9 account prior to my ADSL, and I waited for 2 years to get broadband but it was 100% worth the waiting, now a would never ever want to go back to a dialup modem connection.

**I think if you look into how ADSL works technically and understand it then it makes the compression decompresion look abit overly complicated just to gain the extra speed. Fine if you cannot afford the benefits of full blown ADSL but if you can stretch the wallet to broadband then I do recommend it very much too you.

Ivan
Mol2000
Dabbler

Thanks

Will probably go for broadband!!

I pay for dial up at 9.99 if I go to broadband ay £14.99 will I have to pay on top of the £9.99 0r just the £14.99

Mol
N/A

ONSPEED

Just 14.99/month for 1GB of bandidth on a 512kbit or 1megabit connection, dont still have to pay the 9.99...... unless you want to still use dial up as well! :lol:

ONSPEED is ok for what it is, but the reduction in the quality of images is quite noticeable. Even 256k broadband is loads faster than ONSPEED.

Jarv
Mol2000
Dabbler

Onspeed

Many thanks all

Mol