cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK strange one this - who keeps reptiles as pets!?!?!

N/A

Just curious cos I do and I breed them as well, wondering if any of u lot re fellow herpers!!!!?

Peter
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I used to have a terripin for about 10 years. It was dirty and difficult to look after.

Reptiles always look cool though, what sort of animals do you have?
N/A

i have 6 boa constrictors, 7 royal pythons, 2 tamahura mountain kingsnakes, 2 hermanns tortoises, 2 leopard tortoises!

this is my female mountain kingsnake she is due to lay some eggs in a weeks time

Community Veteran

I've got a fear of snakes, so I'd never get one of them lol.

Isn't the king snake the one thats an imitation coral snake (or the other way round)? Ones highly poisenous and the other isnt?
N/A

there are species of milk snakes and kingsnakes that are coral mimics, this is a king that is similar as it is red black and white.

There is a saying that if ya live in the US u should learn

"Red on white you'll be alright, red on yellow will kill a fellow!"

pic of a coral snake to show the yellow bands

pic of a and scarlet kingsnake

N/A

This is one of my pregnant royal pythons

This is the daddy!

This is one of my heavily pregnant female boa's ( she's about 9ft!)

N/A

Attractive as they are, I hope that they don't have to spend their life living in a glass box. I would imagine that they need lots of room to live in a reasonable simulation of their natural environment.
Have you had any scary moments such as losing one in a cavity wall etc ?
N/A

ok u are slightly misinformed, royals for example spend 80-90% of their time in abandoned rodent burrows, and a lot of boa's and pythons spend a lot of time down animal burrows, All mine are in decent sized vivariums my 9ft boa is in a tank 7ft x 3ft x 3ft, the reptile standard for a snake of that size is 5x2x2 so mine is considerably larger. certain species like royals are more at home in smaller vivs as they can go off feeding if in too big a vivarium!

this is a long standing debate with many animal rights groups over their interpretation of the so called "glass coffins" as they call them.

People like me have established captive breeding programs which in turn saves the wild caugt populations, also certain species such as the hog isle boa and many others would be extinct if it was not for us keepers.

I would love to debate this with u if u like?!?

Peter
N/A

I keep my animals in a secure building and have had the odd one thats leant against the glass frontage and moved it enough to get out but they always just hide behind the tanks! I do not use jst plain glass vivs, mainly due to heat loss through glass, my tanks are marine ply on a 1" framework with polystyrene insulation. A lot of the tanks have coir substrate with wood chips on, some have live plants others plastic depending on the size of the snake. I also have data files on the habitat from where the species lives in the wild, down to temp, daylight levels and humidity and I have timers for the lights to mimic their environment, I have thermostats to regulate the heating elements(which are guarded to stop snake burning themselves) and I have in some automatic misting systems in others I use an atomiser to raise the humidity levels to that which copies their home country!

If that is not trying to keep close to their correct habitat i dont know what is LOL

Peter
N/A

I keep my animals in a secure building and have had the odd one thats leant against the glass frontage and moved it enough to get out but they always just hide behind the tanks! I do not use jst plain glass vivs, mainly due to heat loss through glass, my tanks are marine ply on a 1" framework with polystyrene insulation. A lot of the tanks have coir substrate with wood chips on, some have live plants others plastic depending on the size of the snake. I also have data files on the habitat from where the species lives in the wild, down to temp, daylight levels and humidity and I have timers for the lights to mimic their environment, I have thermostats to regulate the heating elements(which are guarded to stop snake burning themselves) and I have in some automatic misting systems in others I use an atomiser to raise the humidity levels to that which copies their home country!

If that is not trying to keep close to their correct habitat i dont know what is LOL

Peter
N/A

I’m not making any judgement, as you rightly guessed I don’t have enough knowledge about the subject to do so.
I’ll leave it to others to debate the rights and wrongs about keeping reptiles as pets.
I’m more interested in the practicalities of looking after them, costs, feeding and time needed
I used to keep up to 30 chickens and rabbits in a large run, much to the delight of the local children and mine. However, despite my best efforts the sly old fox got them in the end. The chickens and rabbits that is, not the children

Here’s an odd story that may or may not interest you.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4313978.stm
N/A

yeah seen that it was i believe a set up!

same as the pics out of indo with the cut open snake with the person inside, when reporters went to check the validity of the pics they found the "dead" person walking around doing talks!!!

LOL