cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not impressed to say the least

N/A

Not impressed to say the least

Well got the whole package, set it up and I have to say that my modem was quicker than my broadband :-(

For instance connecting to the main F9 site has taken over a minute sometimes, Google sometimes connects and the BBC site gives me the top banner and nothing else.

Most of the time if I get a webpage, only some of the data comes through....the rest of the page doesn't load at all.

This is the first time since 5pm this evening (it's now 10:15pm) that I've even managed to get onto this forum.

Only got a normal telephone plugged in downstairs and I've tried both micro-filters but nothing's improved - very miserable :-(

Mark
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Not impressed to say the leastREPLY

> Well got the whole package, set it up and I have to say that my modem was quicker than my broadband :-(
>
> For instance connecting to the main F9 site has taken over a minute sometimes, Google sometimes connects and the BBC site gives me the top banner and nothing else.
>
> Most of the time if I get a webpage, only some of the data comes through....the rest of the page doesn't load at all.
>
> This is the first time since 5pm this evening (it's now 10:15pm) that I've even managed to get onto this forum.
>
> Only got a normal telephone plugged in downstairs and I've tried both micro-filters but nothing's improved - very miserable :-(
>
> Mark
>
Dear Mark,
I setup and installed my own broadband (self-install)with F9 and its all working fine. From what you have described something sounds wayout or just plain setup wrongly. Uploads & download speeds should be staggeringly good,I can get on the F9 portal or google in milli-seconds on my ADSL connection.

Have you tried testing the connections speed at for example http://www.dslreports.com goto speed test on the left of the page and select MegaPath server,CA. This will tell you what speed your getting.

Also please check your browsers settings if you have security settings hard bolted down then this can affect the way webpages might be displayed?

Hope you can pin point the problem,if in doubte contact BT's ADSL team they are usually quite helpful (as a last restort!).

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

> Dear Mark,
> I setup and installed my own broadband (self-install)with F9 and its all working fine. From what you have described something sounds wayout or just plain setup wrongly. Uploads & download speeds should be staggeringly good,I can get on the F9 portal or google in milli-seconds on my ADSL connection.
>
> Have you tried testing the connections speed at for example http://www.dslreports.com goto speed test on the left of the page and select MegaPath server,CA. This will tell you what speed your getting.
>
> Also please check your browsers settings if you have security settings hard bolted down then this can affect the way webpages might be displayed?
>
> Hope you can pin point the problem,if in doubte contact BT's ADSL team they are usually quite helpful (as a last restort!).
>
> Best Regards
> Ivan
>

Hi Ivan,

Thx for the reply - I checked my speeds like you said....getting up load speed of around 134, but my download speed is the same as a 34K modem....arghhh

Mark

N/A

RE: Not impressed to say the leastREPLY x2

> > Dear Mark,
> > I setup and installed my own broadband (self-install)with F9 and its all working fine. From what you have described something sounds wayout or just plain setup wrongly. Uploads & download speeds should be staggeringly good,I can get on the F9 portal or google in milli-seconds on my ADSL connection.
> >
> > Have you tried testing the connections speed at for example http://www.dslreports.com goto speed test on the left of the page and select MegaPath server,CA. This will tell you what speed your getting.
> >
> > Also please check your browsers settings if you have security settings hard bolted down then this can affect the way webpages might be displayed?
> >
> > Hope you can pin point the problem,if in doubte contact BT's ADSL team they are usually quite helpful (as a last restort!).
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Ivan
> >
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> Thx for the reply - I checked my speeds like you said....getting up load speed of around 134, but my download speed is the same as a 34K modem....arghhh
>
> Mark
>
> Dear Mark,
Thank for your previous reply. Here for example is what I currently get on my ADSL connection (from dslreports)454Kbps downlink & 230kbps uplink. So your setup is seriously out somewhere? If you can tell me exactly what kit you are using and how you've set it up and installed it,plus what software then I might be able to help you or at least guide you in the right direction. Also who is your telecoms providor (is it BT?)and did you upgrade your previous F9 account or did you start from scratch with broadband? Get back to me and I'll see if we can get to the bottom of this. But there is no way! you should still only be getting the speeds you've mentioned. Its not right thats for sure!

Ivan

>

--
N/A

RE: Not impressed to say the least

> Well got the whole package, set it up and I have to say that my modem was quicker than my broadband :-(
>
> For instance connecting to the main F9 site has taken over a minute sometimes, Google sometimes connects and the BBC site gives me the top banner and nothing else.
>
> Most of the time if I get a webpage, only some of the data comes through....the rest of the page doesn't load at all.
>
> This is the first time since 5pm this evening (it's now 10:15pm) that I've even managed to get onto this forum.
>
> Only got a normal telephone plugged in downstairs and I've tried both micro-filters but nothing's improved - very miserable :-(
>
> Mark
>

Hi Mark

just read your problem and what strikes me to ask what you have plugged in upstairs.Unplug all phones except the computer plug computer via MF and see what you get. Just a logical thought
regards

terry
N/A

RE: Not impressed to say the least

>
> Hi Mark
>
> just read your problem and what strikes me to ask what you have plugged in upstairs.Unplug all phones except the computer plug computer via MF and see what you get. Just a logical thought
> regards
>
> terry
>

Hi Terry and Ivan,

Thanks for your help - I've finally discovered the problem! It's being caused by the base unit of a BT cordless answerphone...unplug that from the system and my BB zips along, plug it back in and it kills my connection. Strangely it's just that particualr unit that is causing the problem - if I plug a standard phone into the system my BB still works fine.....weird....

Thanks again chaps for your help
Mark
N/A

> >
> > Hi Mark
> >
> > just read your problem and what strikes me to ask what you have plugged in upstairs.Unplug all phones except the computer plug computer via MF and see what you get. Just a logical thought
> > regards
> >
> > terry
> >
>
> Hi Terry and Ivan,
>
> Thanks for your help - I've finally discovered the problem! It's being caused by the base unit of a BT cordless answerphone...unplug that from the system and my BB zips along, plug it back in and it kills my connection. Strangely it's just that particualr unit that is causing the problem - if I plug a standard phone into the system my BB still works fine.....weird....
>
> Thanks again chaps for your help
> Mark
>
Hi Mark,
I am so glad that you nailed the cause in the end,as you say its weird but it happens!

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

> Hi Mark,
> I am so glad that you nailed the cause in the end,as you say its weird but it happens!
>
> Best Regards
> Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Guess I spoke too soon :-( The router has now died - it goes through it's power-on self-test then turns itself off. The LED that's meant to flash once a second doesn't flash anymore (according to the manual if it doesn't do this it's a hardware failure) and it just won't go beyond the POST.

So perhaps all my troubles were being caused by a duff router in the first-place.....

I've raised a ticket with f9 support to see about returning it.

Back to the modem for me :-(

Mark
N/A

> > Hi Mark,
> > I am so glad that you nailed the cause in the end,as you say its weird but it happens!
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Ivan
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> Guess I spoke too soon :-( The router has now died - it goes through it's power-on self-test then turns itself off. The LED that's meant to flash once a second doesn't flash anymore (according to the manual if it doesn't do this it's a hardware failure) and it just won't go beyond the POST.
>
> So perhaps all my troubles were being caused by a duff router in the first-place.....
>
> I've raised a ticket with f9 support to see about returning it.
>
> Back to the modem for me :-(
>
> Mark
>
> > Hi Mark,
> > I am so glad that you nailed the cause in the end,as you say its weird but it happens!
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Ivan
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> Guess I spoke too soon :-( The router has now died - it goes through it's power-on self-test then turns itself off. The LED that's meant to flash once a second doesn't flash anymore (according to the manual if it doesn't do this it's a hardware failure) and it just won't go beyond the POST.
>
> So perhaps all my troubles were being caused by a duff router in the first-place.....
>
> I've raised a ticket with f9 support to see about returning it.
>
> Back to the modem for me :-(
>
> Mark
>
Hi mark,
Sorry!to hear about your harware (router)problems,it definately sounds like a harware failure to me.

Yes!perhaps that was the cause all along as you say. My experience of routers is limited to Cisco models but on the whole routers are probably the most complex bit of kit your likely to come across in computing terms.

Routers need to be thought of as computers in their own right. They have an operating system of their own and a command set of their own,they need to have expert configuration or be pre-configured for a specific setup,etc,etc.

Anyway,your on the right track now as far as I can see,send it back and get another one and see if that solves the problem.

Ivan
--