cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not bad for 1 and a half hours :)

N/A

At last, I managed to upload an avatar to this forum, that's no fault of Plusnet or anyone here, I am only just coming to grips with using ftp. However, the main problem I had was getting my image to the correct size. Think I'll go and have a coffee now.
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Ah.... a piano.... I love playing that instrument! Smiley

Thomas
N/A

What sort of music do you like playing?

I play the piano myself, mainly classical music but recently I've had a go at playing some modern stuff as well.

BTW This picture I scanned it from one of my business cards and saved several versions of it until I got the right size. I read another thread earlier today on how to upload it which was very helpful.
Regards
Chris.
N/A

Oops, i think my avatar is too big Shockedops:

In both dimesion and file size Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Well spotted rbentley. I was thinking of sending you a quick PM to ask for you to shrink it down anyway! Smiley

What sort of music do you like playing?

I play the piano myself, mainly classical music but recently I've had a go at playing some modern stuff as well.

Well, I play the piano and violin, and I plan on taking up the flute shortly. On the piano I tend to play modern-classical pieces... pieces that feel classical in stlye, but that you can tell have been composed recently... one composer I really like is Yanni. Though alot of his music is synthesized, he has composed some very emotional solo piano pieces that I love to play when I want to unwind.
However, I do play other music on the Piano. I can do a bit of Beethoven, Bach, and probably many others that I can't remember playing!

On the violin, however, I play a much bigger mix. I've played everything from Girl From Ipanema to Vaughn Williams' Suite of English Folk Songs to Vivaldi's Autumn to the Eastenders theme tune and all the way back again. That's what happens when you're in in orchestra! Shockedops:

And as for the flute? Who knows!

(Sorry, I love music..... problem is; once I start talking about it, I have problems stopping!)

Thomas
N/A

I too love music Kuglin, I'm a self-employed Piano Tuner and so am very interested and encouraged by just how many budding pianists adore music in one way or another. It certainly sound as though you have a wide taste in music. I guess I do really.

I'm not familiar with Yanni but from what you say the music sounds interesting.

I'm glad you play the Violin as well, one of my all-time favourite pieces of music it Vaugham Williams' The Lark Ascending. I love that piece of music.

You mention you're in an Orchestra, one of my customers is the CBSO Centre in Birmingham, though I tune the pianos there together wihen my colleague from Steinways can't make it.

I wish you all the best with the flute as well.

BTW. When I first uploaded my avatar it took up half the screen so changed my profile a number of times to correct this but all is well now.
Regards
Chris.
Community Veteran

If you want to investigate Yanni's piano music, have a look here: http://www.yannimusic.net/music_detail_inmytime.html
That is the page for his album entitled "In My Time", which is an album which is completely piano music (with a very little backing). All the pieces are available in sheet music as well. Smiley

The orchestra I'm in is certainly one you won't have heard of, unless you live very near me. However, some members of the orchestra have gone on international tours (one is held every year), so who knows where I might be one day! We'll see.

Thomas
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Isn't nice to see something other than computers discussed in Chit chat occasionally.

For my sin's I'm also a musician -or was until arthritus took a hold too far in my hands- a guitar player, everything from Rodriguez to Hendrix with no particular preference for any of them, I just liked playing the guitar, and enjoyed the situation with whatever type of instrument was called for (although there's not a lot of call for amateur classical guitarists)

If I lean in any direction it's to guitarists such as C&W's the late Chet Atkins (who seems to have been borne with 10 fingers on each hand) and that brand of late 60' and 70's country and western finger picking.

But I'm a great admirer of the classical world's icon Julian Bream and John Williams as well

Unfortunately, not only has arthritus limited my playing to my own amusment occasionally but a tea leaf stole 5 guitars from me several years ago, none were what you may call collectors items (they were meant for playing not looking at) but it was a terrible blow as I'm sure you as musicians would imagine (please don't even ask if they were insured)...do piano's get nicked? Smiley
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Sorry to hear you have arthritis. Sad

Unfortunately, I don't have a piano. Sad I just use the ones in school (we have a dedicated music block, with about 15 pianos in total I think).

I've got to admit, I do enjoy sitting on one of their baby grands and knocking out a few tunes. Cool

Thomas
N/A

Sorry to hear you have arthritis petlew, and of the guitars you had stolen.

On the whole pianos don't get nicked oftern mainly due to their weight. I was asked to inspect a piano at the local police station about 7 years ago but it was one I hadn't seen before. Pianos get damaged though through vandelism, it is not that uncommon to find a piano (oftern in a school or church sadly) with about 30 broken hammers (that's approximately 1 third of the entire piano's hammers). The damage alone can render a piano useless, as (depending on age and condition) it may not be financially or prectically viable to get it repaired.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Wish I could use the excuse of dodgy hands for misspelling arthritis, even more so as I asked a question in another forum about spell checkers recently... Shockedops:
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Unfortunately, I don't have a piano. Sad I just use the ones in school (we have a dedicated music block, with about 15 pianos in total I think).
Thomas

You can get some pretty smart keyboards these days Thomas that are touch sensitive just like piano keys and they sound damn good as well.
I got on recently (a Yamaha) for less than £200 and Im most impressed with it.
Have you considered one of these as as an option to a piano?
Community Veteran

I've got a good Yamaha keyboard, but, no offence, they're rubbish compared to a piano. The touch sensitivity is just...... eugh. For one thing, the keys aren't weighted (or if they are, they aren't very well)!

I did once consider getting a digital piano, but the good ones are far out of my price range. I suppose I'll just have to stick to school. Cry

Thomas
Community Veteran

Ok Thomas not offended. I've never played seriously on a piano so I wouldnt know the difference. I suppose another thing is you would have no loud and soft foot pedals with the keyboard.
I just mentioned it as a possible option because of the fact that keyboards are now so very cheap for an impressive spec.
Back in 1982 I paid over £200 for one with 3/4 size keys, about 8 instuments and a few rythms. It just doesn't compare with the one I've bought recently for £150 which in real terms is about 1/10th the price of the 1982 one :?
Community Veteran

I see what you mean about the prices coming down!

Anyway, thanks for the thought. Smiley

So what kind of piano skills do you have?

Thomas