cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Internet Security Virus Update problems

N/A

I have some issues with Norton Internet Security 2004 and 2005. I have problems downloading virus updates and am being told that there may be problems in my browser settings. I have uninstalled 2004 and recently installed 2005, the same problem exists. I am no computer wizard and frankly am at a loss as to what I have to do to correct this. Symantec website is of little help, F9 could not advise me, and ideas please?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Symantec Product problems

Hello,

I have been using Norton Anti Virus 2002 for several years and know some of the kinds of problems that you can encounter with symantec products. After reading your thread, I would say that there are two main areas that you probably need to look at and these are as follows:-

1) You do need to have a look at the symantec product documentation for your specific program and have a look to see if you might need to change some settings in order to allow you to download the program updates. Also be aware that if the program is fully upto date there might NOT be any new updates to download (in other words the program connects to the update server but doesnt find any new updates, which is possible but not very likely though!).

2) Windows & Internet Explorer definately require the correct security settings to be switched on for your program to be able to gain internet access and to contact the "symantec update server". Your program will try and find the server using something called a "hostname" such as liveupdate.symantec.com etc and it requires the correct internet address in order to do this. And this is done bye somethng called "name resolution" or also called a DNS lookup. Hopefully if the hostname is resolved correctly and the right internet address is found and a connection is successfully achieved your product should then update.

3) I also think that another problem could be that your program i.e. the symantec product itself could also be blocking the very internet access that you require. Dont forget this is a firewall product that is designed to protect your computer but it CAN also block your programs from gaining web access inorder to get the very updates your after? its worth bearing this in mind. In other words the program has to be configured correctly itself?? and firewalls can be quite complicated and unfortunately Nortons personal firewall is very compliacted from what I've seen in the past.

4) Browser settings can be changed assuming your using Internet Explorer as follows: Start button, start menu, settings, control panel, internet options, next you should see various TABS along the top of this page, select security tab, on the security page next select CUSTOM level button, in the list that should appear ensure you have DOWNLOADS (file downloads) ENABLED or switched on using the small radio buton. once you have this enabled you should be able to get the updates (unless other problems exsist), click OK Then close your browser down and then try the updates again hopefully this should work. Give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Ivan
N/A

Re: Norton Internet Security Virus Update problems

I have some issues with Norton Internet Security 2004 and 2005. I have problems downloading virus updates and am being told that there may be problems in my browser settings. I have uninstalled 2004 and recently installed 2005, the same problem exists. I am no computer wizard and frankly am at a loss as to what I have to do to correct this. Symantec website is of little help, F9 could not advise me, and ideas please?

Have you sorted this yet ?

I have run NAV2001,2002,2004 NIS 2004 and am now on NIS2005, they do sometimes need a bit of tweaking but are normally quite easy to set up...

What exactly is you specific problem ?
Marteknet
Grafter

If Norton update isn't working look at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html
to download the latest virus definition set. This is a quick fix, be warned that it only updates the virus definition set, program updates are not done with this option.

Peter.
N/A

Norton Update & browser settings

Hello once again,

As I was trying to explain to you before, drawing against all my past experince of Norton products (numerous products & versions) you must change your web browser settings to allow items such as file downloads, ActiveX controls etc. If you havent enabled (switched these on!) Then yes! your Norton downloads may well fail. And you might have to resort to a manual update as a result or temporary fix.

I would also suggest that you go systematicaly through Norton 2005 settings (that is the settings or configuartion options within the program itself) and ensure that your program has also been configured to allow downloads of the Norton updates, including the product updates, you need also to ensure that you have registered the application either online or via a phone call because if you dont have a valid or current subscription then downloads WONT be available either.

**Goto (I'm assuming your using MS internet explorer version 6) Internet Explorer, properties sheet, security tab, custom Level button, Custom settings, in the list which appears, this shows various items that can be changed. See in the listing enable file downloads, enable ActiveX controls (that is signed activeX only) Sorry! this image was done rather hastily and so is larger than intended and might be slow to load (unless your on ADSL). Ivan Cool