cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy phone lines

N/A

Noisy phone lines

I've just posted this as a reply to a topic with a very similar title. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve the problem?

All I can say is, I wish I had your problem! Mine is the exact opposite. My phone line is absolutely fine until the router is plugged into the microfilter. Suddenly it is like listening to a conversation underwater with a fax transmission superimposed over the top of it. If I start surfing the noise gets even louder. I've done everything I can think of including changing all the filters, recabling from the BT box up to my computer and getting BT to recable the outside up to their box. And all since the thunder storms of this last week. ..
3 REPLIES
N/A

Noisy phone lines

It still sounds like a microfilter issue to me. Have you been able to test the replacement ones you go on anyone elses connection to see if they work?

Its a pain in the arse that it seems 99% of microfilters are incapable of doing the job they were purchased for. Unfortunately in this case you get what you pay for, its most often caused my cheap microfilters.
N/A

Noisy phone lines

I wouldn't say 10 quid a pop was cheap for a microfilter, but then again I've never heard of 'Computer Gear', who make them. Of four shops I visited, three were out of stock, so maybe there was some kind of surge in our area associated with the storms and everyone else has the same problem?

So you reckon cheap microfilters don't filter? Isn't that illlegal under the trades description act?
N/A

Noisy phone lines

I did not think £10 was cheap either. Then again you have to weigh it against the price of the most expensive one and also compare it to other shops and possibly brands.

Most cheap microfilters should filter, just not perfectly. For example they might stop ADSL dropping when you use the phone but not block all the ADSL noise.

You wouldnt believe how many reports of microfilter problems PlusNet deal with, I was only working for them for a couple of months and I saw tons of them. The other problem being BT not doing what they were supposed to be doing. :shock:

This is why despite the problem I have with some phones not ringing via my microfilter I have not bothered to buy a different one as it seems like it would be more trouble than its worth.

I could be wrong of course, I really hope you figure out whats wrong but unfortunately short of testing your microfilters on someone elses ADSL line the only other option is to try yet another brand.