Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy phone line

dstokoe
Dabbler

Noisy phone line

Hi

Here's a problem that I have on my phone line that is actually fixed by my broadband but would appreciate any suggestions as to why Smiley

Ever since we moved in to the house the phone line has been noisy (thought it was the phone (DECT) but 2 phones later no change) and caller ID was hit & miss. Since we got BB in a year ago, as long as the PC is switched on (don't even have to connect up to F9) the line is crystal clear & caller ID always works.

I thought it might be something to do with the filters but it only makes a difference if the pc is on.

The reason I'm asking now is that I've been knocked back for 1meg regrade due to the line & I wondered if there was a connection or is it 2 completely unrelated problems?

Anyone help?

Thanks
13 REPLIES
N/A

Responding Re: Noisy Line

Hi,

After reading your story the only thing that might make some sense of this issue is the fact that when you installed the filters. The filters are responsible for splitting the X3 frequencies that braodband uses (i.e. voice calls only which requires a low frequency bandwidth in terms of Hrtz, the middle of the bandwidth or frequency is used for the upload or uplink and finally the largest frequency is left for the downloading or downlink.

The downlink takes the biggest share of the total bandwidth out of all three services. Dont forget its still one piece of old fashioned BT copper wire we're talking about and it was never designed with this technology in mind all those years ago, so one does have to marvel at how clever the whole thing is and the fact that it works so well. (well atleast I still think its pretty awesome to be honest with you!!)

Anyway, I think your noise levels on your line are smoothed out or significantly reduced by the filter use. Thats the best explanation I can think of, it especially makes sense when you say it's especially the case that the PC has to be powered up.

**Dont forget ADSL establishes a signal or a connection even before any data travels over it.

Best Regards Ivan
dstokoe
Dabbler

Noisy phone line

Thanks Cyteck

I see what you are saying. Do you think this would have any bearing on a line test for 1mb i.e. Could it give different results when the pc was on or off - or am I barking up the wrong tree!

Cheers

Damian
N/A

Barking Barking!!

Hello Again,
Sorry! but I do think you may well be barking up the wrong tree here? I think the 1MB line test, it has to pass these tests without any filters my guess would be.

Which means that BT have to test your line for noise level without the filters in place or not. However all might NOT be lost?(this might still be worth a try from your side of things??), I suffered alot of dropped ADSL connections when my BT line was installed and ADSL first activated. Yes! this was also due to excessive line noise, so I contacted BT's DSL team myself and the BT engineer I spoke with was very good and most helpful. He conducted a number of line diagnostics, balanced my line and tuned it buy adjsuting the "gain". The line noise can in some instances be reduced by tweaking the gain on the line, since this was done my dropped connections have been few.

You can contact the BT DSL team via the operator and ask to be put through to them, they MIGHT and I stress might be able to help you. Its worth a try after all it will only cost you a phone call.

Best Regards Ivan
dstokoe
Dabbler

Noisy phone line

Thanks again cyteck

I might give that a go but in the meatime I've requested a whoosh test from F9 to get a grasp on the 1meg rejection situation.

Regards
Damian
dstokoe
Dabbler

Can't get db reading???

Hmm., this is getting frustrating now.

Requested a whoosh test and got a reply from F9 saying:-

"Unfortunately all the tests that we are doing the Db rating is not showing. i would suggest that you contact BT on 150 and they will be able to advise you of the Db rating."

Why would this be? Seems odd I can't even get a db reading. I would appreciate a reply from someone at F9 with a few more details if poss. I can send the ticket number if need be.

I've posted what's happened in the Techincal Issues forum of ADSLGuide and the replies seem to think it's F9's problem not mine. If someone could please clarify the situation that would be great.

Many Thanks
dstokoe
Dabbler

Got results

Just to wrap this one up I'm going to reply to my own post Smiley

Dave Tomlinson got in touch via ADSLGuide and got me my results (which were well over the limit, unfortunately! :roll: )

Thanks to F9 for getting there!

Damian
N/A

Sorry to hear that!!

Hi again,
Just following up on your story / thread. Sorry! to hear that in the final outcome your line noise exceeds the required limits for a 1MB ADSL line. Well atleast you now know where you stand on the issue, not much consolation I have to say but thats life sometimes.

Best Regards anyway Ivan Sad
N/A

Noisy phone line

Personally, if you can audibly hear noise on the line this is unacceptable for a voice line and I would have had BT fix it before even thinking about ADSL at all.

Id certainly moan at them to fix it as you really shouldnt be getting easily audible noise on the line at all unless theres a fault. Be sure to keep checking without the PC on, filters connected to make sure it goes away and then it could be worth checking if you would pass the tests. At the very least it might increase your upstream ADSL speed as I would imagine it suffering from the noise on the line right now.
dstokoe
Dabbler

Noisy phone line

Thanks csd - I will get BT to check it out, if only to get better quality on the voice.

As it happens things have moved on a bit and BT are raising the limits soon, so going by the figures Dave sent me I should be ok when they are in force.

Cheesy
N/A

Just the opposite problem

All I can say is, I wish I had your problem! Mine is the exact opposite. My phone line is absolutely fine until the router is plugged into the microfilter. Suddenly it is like listening to a conversation underwater with a fax transmission superimposed over the top of it. If I start surfing the noise gets even louder. I've done everything I can think of including changing all the filters, recabling from the BT box up to my computer and getting BT to recable the outside up to their box. And all since the thunder storms of this last week. ..
N/A

Noisy phone line

See your seperate thread!
dstokoe
Dabbler

It's my modem!

Well, BT came out to check the line and the engineer discovered that it was my (f9 supplied) PCI modem possibly causing the poor voice call quality - but only when the pc is off :?

When the pc is on everything is fine and when the pc is off and the line unplugged from the modem it is also fine. It is the combination of pc off but still connected to the phone line that causes the noise. The engineer suggested it may be a filter problem so I'll go down that route (AGAIN!), otherwise it's the modem.

Anyway, I'm quite happy it's not a problem with the BT line.
dstokoe
Dabbler

Noisy phone line

I got all 1 megged up yesterday following the change in line limits from BT so all's well that ends well Cheesy