cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nobody tools and deleting a file

N/A

Hello all

I may be extremely confused, but when I type in the path to NOBODY TOOLS, it doesn't seem to be available. I've been told it's:

http://cgi.username.force9.co.uk/nobodyTools/permissions.php (where my name is twisted).

I'm trying to delete some folders which don't want to be deleted. I could have a folder CHMOD 777. Create a sub-folder in CuteFTP, and immediately can't delete it! (crazy or what)!

I have inadvertently titled a folder as a full stop (ie . ) and now it doesn't show up in any ftp software and can't be deleted! Nice!

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..this is driving me mad!

Thanks

Scott
4 REPLIES
Marteknet
Grafter

dotless :-)

have you tried the -la option in WSFTP .
it lists all "hidden files" then just highlight the dot in the file list box and click the delete button. I'm not sure if this will work as i have not tested it.
N/A

Sorry, but you have downloaded the file and uploaded it to crofters, yes? Can you remember where you uploaded it to? Have you unpacked the *.tar file? When you unpack the programme, it will create a folder called "nobody tools" in your webspace and inside of that will be the file you need.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Re: Nobody tools and deleting a file

I have inadvertently titled a folder as a full stop (ie . ) and now it doesn't show up in any ftp software and can't be deleted! Nice!

As a general point, if you've created the file (or directory), then you're the owner, and the nobodyTools won't help you -- they're for when the web server has created the file/directory, which means it is the owner, not you.

As another general point, in the UNIX world, any file whose name starts with a dot is considered a hidden file, and will not appear in a standard listing of the directory contents. The "-a" option of the list command is necessary to show all files (and, as "martek" has pointed out, it can be combined with the "-l" option for "long format" listing of all files).

Your particular case of creating a folder called "." is a little unusual, for the simple fact is there's already an object called "." in every directory, which is a self-reference to the directory itself. Thus, writing "." simply means "current directory". (There's also a double-dot entry, ".." in every directory, which is a reference to the parent directory -- so, cd .. for example, moves you to the parent of the current directory.) This convention of dot and double-dot objects is true of every hierarchical file system I've ever encountered.

So, my conclusion is, even if you entered a command to create a directory called ".", I doubt if it was successful, because the "." entry would have already been there. If you use the option to list all the objects in the directory (including the hidden entries) you will see both the dot and double-dot entries. Do not delete them (I doubt if you would be able to anyway), for they are part of the infrastructure of the file system itself.

In other words, nothing to worry about. Do nothing...
N/A

sorted

Hi guys

Thanks for your advice, it's been most helpful! I managed to get the file deleted in the end. Just for the record, I didn't know about the (.) hidden file thing, I called it (.) purely by chance (good choice eh)!

The folder was part of my online photo gallery, originally being named something else, containing photos. However, I took that set of photos down but somehow couldn't delete the folder. I changed the name to (.) and that's when things went wrong. The (.) folder kept crashing my online picture viewer!

Anyway, it's all good. If you're interested, the photos can be found here:

www.gallery.evolutionrecords.net

All in perfect working order!

Thanks

Scott