Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No video only audio

cannylad
Grafter

No video only audio

Hi,
For some strange reason I am no longer able to view video on my computer any more, I must have uninstalled something that has stopped video from showing.
I am running WinXP SP2, I have updated my Radeon drivers and I also have all the codecs installed. I ran Gspot which indicated the video should be playing. I have VideoLan,DivX,Media Player Clasic,Power DVD installed but none will play any video and I only get sound.
Anyone any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks
Tynesider
7 REPLIES
N/A

No Video

Hello Tynesider,

Have you checked the Microsoft website with regards to SP2 as I do know lots of users reported problems with SP2 when it was first released. I'm wondering if SP2 has made certain changes to your system which could have caused this problem, I say this as I know SP2 wasnt just a minor tweak to windows XP but in SP2 some key windows OS system files or DLL files where completely re-written to improve security.

**This idea might seem abit drastic but at a push it might be possible to uninstall SP2 and then see if the video problem goes away atleast this would pin the problem down further?

**Also check your video settings for IE or your broswer and even windows media player too? just another thought.

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

No video only audio

Hi, I have just found out the problem was with WMP v10, I uninstalled it and re-installed v9 and so far all seems ok.

Thanks for your help and advice

Tynesider
N/A

WMP version problems

Hello Tynsider,

Very glad to hear that you managed to pin point the problem well done, Yes! I'm NOT at all suprised by the cause. Microsoft all always making changes to additional software related to windows OS and I'm always saying to people that just becuase such and such software is the LATEST VERSION it isnt always better and the only way to find out is too test it when possible or read what other people have said about before installing it yourself.

I didnt like the WMP version 10 interface so stuck with version 9 which works well with XP without any problems thus far.

Best Regards Ivan
N/A

No video only audio

I hated V10 so much that I now use iTunes or music (still use WMP for vids tho). fabulous piece of software, recommend to all. Cool

Jarv
N/A

Media Players and such like

Hi Jarv,

To be honest I'm not an internet music fan so I cannot get excited about freely available MP3 music files or tracks or whats required to play them back on such as Itunes from apple.

I trained as a photographer many years ago and I still find internet video films utterly aweful when it comes to quality. Great claims are made for internet video files but very few seem to deliver truely good quality.

As I've had VHS in the past and now DVD players I know high image quality when I see it. I think in the futire when internet bandwidth truely become high speed such as 10megs or above and when web based films can truely deliver high definition image quality then may be internet movie's will become a normal part of everyday domestic entertainment life. I suspect that may still be as far away as 7-10years.

I guess that bye then we'll all have wirelessly connected voice commanded flat panel plasma TV computer based multimedia entertainment systems (computers as we know them will hardly exsist is my guess or they will have become extremely small and so hidden away some where).

Ivan
N/A

No video only audio

Humm, i didnt actually realise there were freely available tracks for legal downoad on iTunes, but looking into it its supposed to be a main attraction! iTunes is just an excellent music management program so if you have a lot of CDs that you want to put on your PC i would recommend using iTunes. Also the apple music shop is fully integrated into it so should you want to buy any at 79p a track (£7.99 an album) the facility is there.

iTunes doesnt play any kind of video files, it uses quick time for that which isnt very impressive. WMP9/10 does the job for my DVDs and TV recordings.

The compression technologies which are being developed for video are extremely impressive, they can quite easily maintain a DVD quality picture at a third of the average bitrate. People do however, reduce the bitrate by a vast amount so that they can be easily transferred. Most of the time these files are very watchable, but it is not usually a quality picture.

The same principal can be applied to a music track. if you compress it so that it will fit on a floppy disk its generally not going to sound very good, but a few will still sound fine. It just depends on the complexity of the original audio being compressed.

I think a time where we can buy a DVD-quality movie and download it will be here within 5 years. Although blu-ray is supposed to be replacing DVD in the near future for HD video, and there is no way we will be able to download the 25GB contents of one of those anytime soon.

I don't agree with the illegal downloading movies/music, but I find the technology behind the compression techniques very impressive.

Jarv
N/A

Replying

Hi Jarv,

Thanks for your reply, its interesting for me as non internet music user. Alot of what you say makes sense. I think internet music downloads & peer to peer file sharing has become so contentious an issue as the big music corporations have lost alot of control over music content and availability (post napster era!).

But these issues are very much the same as with software, the bottom line is that someone has to write the software or make the music in the first place and presumably they do it as a living or try to make a living from it. If you rip off the music or software and dont pay for it, that represents a loss to the creator or writer (but of course MANY people dont think of it in those terms, its the something for nothing culture?). Why! pay money for something when you can take it for free and nobody will see or know (its down to your own personal moral conscience and wheather you can live with that knowledge or not as the case may be).

**Yep! the High definition TV & movie revolution is just about to hit the UK as is PTT for mobile phones. The USA & Japan have had both for sometime I believe.

Ivan