No access to CROFTERS, again... why?

N/A

WS_FTP just sits at "connecting"....
It takes about 90 seconds then times out

"connection timed out"
"connection failed"

Why?
I had this a few months ago, when the account was new, and this problem has returned
4 REPLIES
N/A

That depends... who were you connected to when trying to connect to Crofters? That post was posted from a BlueYonder IP which shouldn't be able to connect to FTP or SSH/Telnet on Crofters at any time...
N/A

I was able to connect a few days ago, using the same connection...
I don't any dialup facility any more
So how am I suppose to connect to the server?
N/A

As a matter of interest, does anyone know if the "no passive FTP" restriction applies to the CGI server as well as to "homepages"? I get the impression it doesn't (and I don't understand the logic of locking down one but not the other).

"mjkerr": does command-line ftp work? Have you tried both passive and non-passive modes?

I see Windows has a registry entry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Ftp\Use PASV" (which seems to be set from the Internet Explorer advanced option "Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)". I suspect this setting is also used by the Microsoft-supplied command-line FTP tool.

In Linux, the standard command-line client has a proper "passive" command which may be used to toggle passive mode. The STATus command will show whether you're using passive FTP.

If you have passive FTP off (which is now required if you want to use the homepages server), then it is the SERVER, not your client, which establishes the data connection (which, in FTP is different from the initial command connection which you establish in the first place). Since the data connection is established by the server, if you have NAT &/or a firewall, it has to allow the incoming connection request to pass on to your PC. If it does not do this, the server will be unable to establish the connection, and you will sit there until a time-out is signalled.
N/A

I have access to about 30 servers, each are updated at least once a week

I use WS_FTP and have "PASV" set to ON, but I do know I need to set this to OFF, to use CROFTERS

However, on this occasion there is no response