cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sync & PPP CHAP Receive challenge error

N/A

Hi, I have an ongoing connetion problem with my ADSL connection. On Friday 12th of March 04 my BT phone line had a fault. So i had no adsl or voice.

I contacted Bt and the line was fixed on Saturday. Since then i have only been able to connect to the internet for a few mins if at all,then it disconnects. Most of the time I can not get a connection and my Sync light on my Speedtouch 510 router just flashes orange and not steady green.

I have spoken with you about my problems and tried all possible ideas to fix the problem.
e.g. Removed everything from the phone line execpt for the router, tried different filters, and pluged the router in to the main socket of the house. None make a difference.

I have since checked the router log file and I have hundreds of entrys saying " PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = ERX1.Ilford3)"

I remembered that when the line works and i do a "tracert www.bbc.co.uk" Ilford is mentioned as one of the routes.

BT have checked the line again and all is ok.

Please could you tell me what the error from the speedtouch log means and if its an error with the connection

Regards

Steve
2 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I believe that ERX1.Ilford3 is going to be one of BT's RADIUS servers. These need to authenticate you (to make sure you have an active ADSL line and to check which ISP you can use) before the connection is passed on to us.
If the authentication is failing at this point then that implies either that you are trying to authenticate with either the wrong username details or protocols (e.g. PAP instead of CHAP) or there's a problem in Ilford.

I'd recommend checking your username is entered correctly as planet44@f9.co.uk and that you've set CHAP authentication, if so raise a ticket saying what you've done and we can re-test it for you.
N/A

Thanks for your quick reply!
I just remembered that on Saturday the F9 support said that they were pinging my router so there could not be a problem, but it was switched off and i was holding it in my hand!!!

So now i am wondering what exactly were they getting a reply from? Could my ADSL line be "Pointing" to a different router and not mine?

Just a thought, i will try your suggestion tonight, I had made no changed to any config before the line went down on Friday.

Regards

Steve