cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nice ADSL

N/A

Nice ADSL

I notice that I've posted several items to the forums and they've mostly been complaints about problems with the f9 site.

To make up for this I'd like to say that I love my ADSL connection, I dig running Hamster on my machine to chomp spam in real time, it's groovy getting streaming audio whenever I want it in as good quality as it's available and I get a ping of 24 in Quake.

Of course, force9 didn't invent ADSL. Oops, I've spoilt it!

Jon.
5 REPLIES
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Re: Nice ADSL

I notice that I've posted several items to the forums and they've mostly been complaints about problems with the f9 site.

To make up for this I'd like to say that I love my ADSL connection, I dig running Hamster on my machine to chomp spam in real time, it's groovy getting streaming audio whenever I want it in as good quality as it's available and I get a ping of 24 in Quake.

Of course, force9 didn't invent ADSL. Oops, I've spoilt it!

Jon.

Thanks for the kind words Jon. We didn't invent ADSL admittedly, although we were one of the first ISPs to provide it! Cool
N/A

Nice ADSL

To make up for this I'd like to say that I love my ADSL connection,

You've hit the nail on the head, you have ADSL. This is the current connection flavour of the month. Those of us on Connect accounts who cannot get or do not want ADSl are the customers currently suffering.

Mark
N/A

Nice ADSL

Yup, I was getting engaged tones/recorded messages and having to try 5, 10, 20 times to connect when I was on a dial-up account. I wonder what the real problem is there? Maybe it's just not economical to run a dial-up service with sufficient capacity, maybe BT are being arses but F9 are contractually obliged not to mention it, maybe the FBI hates modem users?

The trouble is, I don't think you'd get it any better anywhere else. It's like trying to get decent reasonably priced ribbons for your dot matrix printer - not a very sexy area to be investing in at the moment.

Best of luck with your connection attempts.

Jon.
N/A

Nice ADSL

Yup, I was getting engaged tones/recorded messages and having to try 5, 10, 20 times to connect when I was on a dial-up account. I wonder what the real problem is there?

Had exactly same problem. F9 repeatedly dismissed the problem as contention. Yes -- I agree it was contention but it meant an unacceptably poor service. Neither I nor friends and clients have ever experienced such a high proportion of "busy" failures. Clearly some part of the system did not have enough capacity. That was the real problem. Dismissing it as "only contention" was F9 behaving like BT!
N/A

The tide seems to have gone out?

Hi,

Yes! I am one of the lucky one's I have ADSL and YES! I love it too, THANKS F9 its great. But I do have an increasing sense that that there is a whole segment of internet users who either cannot get ADSL (which is NOT there fault because its not available yet where they live or the cost puts broadband out of there price range).

I have a sense that the tide has shifted considerably towards ADSL which is OK as far as it goes but it does leave dialup & modem users (and there must be millions of such people) with the tide going out on them or in some cases it's already gone out on them, leaving them high & dry.

Personally I am pretty puzzled as to why an ordinary dailup service now seems to have become such a difficult, apparently more complex service to provide. Especially as dialup services is what F9 was founded on, so please could someone from F9 explain whats changed, why its now so difficult or is it a case that its nolonger viable financially (i.e. there's just little or no profit in dialup services)

**Personally I think backwards compatiblity or retaining dailup services would be a very important continued priority if I was running a web company or ISP services. Even if there werent vast profits in it, its a way of keeping customers and its also a way of attracting customers. Some dialup users convert and move over to ADSL eventually. (just a few thoughts)

Regards Ivan