cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member queries

N/A

New member queries

Hello lemrin,

Welcome to Force9 and the forums, Good to have you aboard as they say. I dont use the CGI server myself and dont use PHP although I know there are plenty of other people around on the forum who I'm sure will have the answers your looking for.

As for @Mail and the maximum number of recipents you can mail out to in one session, I think you might find this has a limit as F9 doesnt want to be the source or accused of spamming so I have a feeling that this might be why the number is limited. No! sorry I dont know how many recipents @mail allows in any one go. It might be worth openning a support ticket and asking F9 folk.

**PS: if you get a clear answer please could you let us all know other users might find that information useful too.

PPS: try NOT to double post when posting in forums, just be aware of that one for the future.

Best Regards Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
4 REPLIES
N/A

New member queries

Actually, just questions 2 and 3 I need an answer to as I have found the answer to number 1. Thanks.

Hi there

I'm a new member and my broadband is due to be activated on Wednesday.

I just have a couple of queries though for now which I can't find n the Force 9 website.

1: Will my ip address be dynamic or static?
2: Do I need to have the CGI active in order to create PHP pages which manipulate the MySQL database?
3: I regularly communicate with a group of about 20 people who are all online friends. On doing a Reply All to emails from them it informs me I can't send it because there are too many people in the address list. What is the maximum number of people I can send an email to?

Thanks in advance for any replies
N/A

New member queries

Ah! I see you've been "promoted", Ivan -- Sir -- since I last visited!

Congratulations, old son!

But, come on, you are a lad, giving an answer like that! (Or, should I say, dodging giving an answerHuh)

Here are my answers (and, for the sake of controversy, I'll answer the first one as well):[list=1]
  • It's dynamic. You don't need to specify the address in your modem/router's settings, which means it must be supplied dynamically, doesn't it? However, you will always be supplied with the same, fixed, IP address, which some people think means it's "static". Whether you call it "static" or "dynamic" doesn't really matter though; the important thing is you can rely on the IP address being "your" IP address, and no one else's.

I should add that, even if your IP address weren't fixed, it wouldn't matter, even if you run servers on your home system(s), because people do not need to use an IP address to access those servers. As is normal when you access other people's servers on the Internet, you specify a hostname, not an IP Address, and rely on DNS to resolve the hostname you specify to the relevant IP Address, the same can be done for your own system. By default, the hostname for the public IP Address assigned to you is lemrin.force9.co.uk and I suggest if other people need to know how to access your system, give them this hostname rather than your assigned IP Address. (The default configuration at Force9 -- it can be changed on request -- is that www.lemrin.force9.co.uk points to your webspace on the Force9 web server; ccgi.lemrin.force9.co.uk points to your webspace on the CGI server, once you've activated it, and lemrin.force9.co.uk points to your assigned public IP address, whatever that might be. Similarly, a reverse DNS lookup on your assigned public IP Address will yield the hostname lemrin.force9.co.uk.)

• Yes, you need to activate your CGI space, although if you wanted to, you could use a web server within your own ("home") network to access the MySQL database on the Force9 server (but if you're going to do that, why not host the database on your own system as well?)

• The answer is given in the Email FAQs: Is there a limit to the number of recipients of an email?. In short, a technique called tarpitting is used.[/listShocked]Right! That's it. I'm off again. Let me know when you get your next promotion, Ivan, as it'll be time for another sneak visit...
  • N/A

home server

Yes, you need to activate your CGI space, although if you wanted to, you could use a web server within your own ("home") network to access the MySQL database on the Force9 server (but if you're going to do that, why not host the database on your own system as well?)

Thanks for the answers to my queries. You were very thorough with you answers Smiley So thorough infact that you now have given me an idea I have never tried before. I've often thought about doing this but didn't know how and reading our answer has put the idea back in my head.

Ahhh, now you have me intrigued Cheesy I already have a few of my machines set up as Apache servers with PHP, PHPMyAdmin and MySQL. I use these machines for developing applications and websites on. From each of my machines I go to my test sites with the usual http://localhost/ address. If I was to set one of these machines aside as a server would it be simpe to set up? I'd like to give it a try and put my website there instead of on Force 9s space but what I don't have any idea on is how to have it set up so that somebody on the internet can go to that machine and then automatically be taking to the server directory and the index.php page.

I apologise in advance if these questions are really simple to answer. I do know my way around computers as I'm a software engineer but I write database applications, etc. and am not a hardware person so have no experience of setting up servers.
    N/A

Replying Ivan

Hello Taskie,

Your abit behined the times mate! KEEP UP KEEP UP!! promo ages ago now (well feels like it!!). Yes! the IP address issue is quite internesting and a bit annoying to really. Its been called a sticky IP meaning that its neither fixed nor really that dynamic but can be made to work or suit as required, Yes! I'd not heard of this before myself its abit confusing but I guess it kind of makes sense though. My guess is that its setup this way to make life more managable for F9 fair enough I recon.

**Thanks for your reply on the @mail question I've had a quick read through the tarpitting which is quite a good idea me thinks :lol: best to you mate.

Ivan
    --------------------------------------------------
    F9 FOL Forum Moderator
    F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
    Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!