cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New isp ,But Who

N/A

New isp ,But Who

Anyone one know of a better isp to move to,that dose not throttle p2p.
7 REPLIES
N/A

New isp ,But Who

Probably not the best question to ask in a community support section for Plusnet.

My guess, this will be locked shortley :?
N/A

New isp ,But Who

Be* Unlimited have no FUP and do not throttle.

Plus it is 24MB Speeds Cheesy

Check to see if its available in your area.
craiglay
Grafter

New isp ,But Who

Without finding an LLU based supplier, Be being the best probably, you'll probably not have much joy. A lot of BTw suppliers are now throtteling because they need to.
Community Veteran

New isp ,But Who

Probably not the best question to ask in a community support section for Plusnet.

My guess, this will be locked shortley :?

Not locked but just moved to a more apt part of the forums.
shellsong
Grafter

New isp ,But Who

Be* Unlimited have no FUP and do not throttle.

Plus it is 24MB Speeds Cheesy

Check to see if its available in your area.

Actually they do have a FUP but they have yet to take a heavy downloader to task and it has been suggested that 15GB/day or 450GB/month is a nominal limit to consider-- the rest is true although signs of contention can be seen at some exchanges during busy times and noone has achieved much more than 21 Mbps, the actual speed you get being dependent on the quality of your connection to the exchange

People on long or poor quality lines may find themselves better off with cable
vic_newey
Grafter

New isp ,But Who

Even Zen have now introduced capping much to the disdain of all those who migrated, I think its 20gig a month, Capping is probably acceptable to the huge majority of users regardless of ISP but its without doubt the throttling that causes most upsets
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

New isp ,But Who

Yep that's of course the problem, like when the FUP/SUP stuff came in here - people suddenly all ask where they can go which is unlimited. Assuming they are fairly heavy users, they then jump ship and burden the new ISP with the problem. The new ISP realises they are losing money because of it, then they have to resort to imposing measures the previous ISP did.

I don't like caps for slightly different reason. I am not a heavy user at all, just for the fact it concerns me I am limited and I get concerned of how much I am using, even if the reality is that my actual usage is way far off from that. Can't really do a lot about it now, as that is where the market has already headed. Only thing is to pick a generous allowance for the money - even though I might not ever come near it.

Problem is the more people jump onto broadband then the infrastructure is more crowded and measures such as this have to be taken. My problem with PlusNet is I really think the current limits are not enough, their inability to manage the platform (e.g. e-mail, DNS and introducing measures before testing and assessing impact) and their subsequent attitude - such as ignoring the problems caused by the encrypted P2P Ellacoya update - also the "It's not our fault" response to bandwidth investment.

No-one likes the throttling, but even my other ISP is using it (e.g. my download speeds from Easynews are carp, which I am not exactly happy about). However the majority of what I use their connection is fine (e.g. on-line gaming - although I only play a couple of games at present).

There are plenty of alternatives out there with better allowances than PlusNet and I really do think they need to look at where they might be in the future with the present limits (rather than assessing how much £'s can be made from a takeover, which all what they seem to be doing).

More and more applications are requiring more bandwidth, such as the move to download films and music on-line. (Also these tend to use P2P which is cheaper for the content provider but shifts the problem onto the ISP's). Also pretty much all application downloads are becoming DVD sized from CD.

So in the end people are going to become more heavier users (whether intentionally or not) just by using the internet in the way it is being marketed. It's going to be a problem for all ISP's in the end and the wholesale providers such as Tiscali/BT. 13Gb is shortly not going to cut it and something will have to give.

Anyway ramble over Smiley