Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CGI Platform

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 70

New CGI Platform

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that the new CGI platform is now live.

When existing users of our CGI service first visit the CGI control panel in the portal membercentre, it will be in the status 'not activated'. This is because the portal page has changed to represent the status of the new CGI service. The account on the old platform is still live, allowing access to data so it can be moved across to the new platform.

To activate your account on the new platform, simply press the button on the CGI control panel page. You will receive an email shortly after confirming the creation of your new account. Activating your account on the new platform does not automatically move or deactivate your old service or move data between the two platforms.

We are not automatically moving existing CGI accounts because the new, improved platform may require you to adapt some scripts and permissions in order for your applications to run correctly. We will run the old and the new platforms in parallel for a period of 90 days to enable you to safely move, adapt and test your data and applications on the new platform.

You should:-

* Continue to back up your files locally for disaster recovery.
* Move and test your data on the new platform.
* Once successfully running, remove your files from the old platform.
* Remember to point your domain names to the new service via the portal domain tool.

Do NOT:-

* Turn off your SQL – This is a separate service and not affected by the platform change.
* Remove your data from the old platform - until you are satisfied the migration of your data to the new platform has been successful.

For more detailed information, please see the FAQs:-
http://www.force9.net/support/webspace/cgi/cgi_faq_new.shtml

For our CGI discussion forum, login to:-
http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

14 REPLIES
N/A

New CGI Platform

Are the paths for the scripts the same? Obviously I don't ftp to crofters.force9.net, where to now? I have had a quick look but can't see anything relevant.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

New CGI Platform

Paths MAY be different, you might not be in the same home folder.

You ftp to cshell.force9.net
N/A

New CGI Platform

So if before the path was /files/home/username, what is it likely to be now? (This is all before I make a start though!!)

Cheers

Mark
N/A

New CGI Platform

/files/homex/username

where x is missing, 1,2,3,4 etc.
N/A

New CGI Platform

Okay, last question (maybe Wink ) How do I know whether I am 1, 2, 3, 4?

Cheers

Mark
N/A

New CGI Platform

SSH or telnet in and type 'pwd' without the quotes and look at the result.
N/A

New CGI Platform

Ah, i'd forgotten about telnet access because they don't give it to you at 34sp!

Cheers Colin.

Mark
Marteknet
Grafter

New CGI Platform

Is mime::lite still installed for perl ?
N/A

New CGI Platform

MIME::Lite is installed, I beleve - all modules on the old server that were being used should have been installed.
tony2007
Grafter

New CGI Platform

Hi Colin,
If Mime Lite is installed why does email not work?
The Coranto CMS mail back-up facility which I've used for years on the old platform without any problems now fails to work. Or to be more precise I get notices saying the action has been a success when I request mailed backups but no mail ever arrives.
Coranto 'experts' tell me that the mail backup facility is clearing 'looking' for the MIME:LITE, but cannot access it.
I'm not a technical expert but none of what is happening on the new platform seems to make any common let alone technical sense. No mail; we had to wait a number of days for SSIs to work - and I'm told that that should have involved was uploading a specific module - Mod-Include?
The advice on permissions seemed confused: I now have Coranto running on 755, not 740.
I'm sorry to say the whole operation seems so badly planned and organised and notably not a word from anybody 'official'.
Are things going to get resolved I wonder.
:shock:
N/A

New CGI Platform

No standard email scripts appear to be working on the platform from posts on here and the PlusNet portal forums.
Marteknet
Grafter

New CGI Platform

No standard email scripts appear to be working on the platform from posts on here and the PlusNet portal forums.

Colin some PHP email scripts are working but need to be adapted with the -f parameter e.g.. -fpeter@martek-net.co.uk

Here's a link to a working script http://ccgi.martek.force9.co.uk/rtpreviews/rtpreviews.php?cat=Card

I still have to amend some more scripts to test them all but it seems like they do require the -f parameter as ones I have not yet fixed do not seem to send at all despite not returning any errors when they are run.

If I find any other fixes that solve this issue I will post them here.

Peter.
N/A

New CGI Platform

I know hence why I said standard - adding -f is not standar for things like phpBB etc. It's now working from the shell for me without -f but not from the web.
N/A

SSH?

Hi,

Is there any plan on enabling SSH from outside the Force9 network, at least with proper DSA/RSA public keys? The account is a dial-up one which a friend uses, I don't have a BT line, and getting him to do the move will be a bit difficult.

Thanks for all your hard work on both platforms, they've been practically perfect! Cheesy