cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CGI Platform & MySQL

mylittleduck

New CGI Platform & MySQL

Hi,
I'm just starting to test out the new cgi server, and have run into a problem with a php script which accesses a mysql database.

The php file works fine on the old cgi server, but comes out with the following error on the new:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Unknown MySQL Server Host 'humbug' (1) in ........
(where ........ is the path of the php file being processed)

Needless to say, it won't connect to the database.

I don't remember reading anything about the MySql servers having changed. Do I need to change 'humbug' to something else? Is there something different I have to do?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dave

[EDIT[
The code I'm trying to run is:
$db_host="humbug";

$username="mylittleduck";
$password="password";
$DB="mylittleduck_fol";
$chan=mysql_connect($db_host, $username, $password);
9 REPLIES
N/A

New CGI Platform & MySQL

You shouldn't have to change the mysql host... certainly I can contact rumpus with just "rumpus" in the config file.
mylittleduck

New CGI Platform & MySQL

Thanks csogilve. Out of interest, is your account with Free-Online, or with PlusNet?

I tried changing my MySql host to rumpus just to see what it would do (I knew it wouldn't work properly). I get exactly the same error (unknown server).

I've just discovered, though, that if I change it to humbug.plus.net, it works!

I've tried humbug.free-online.net and humbug.free-online.co.uk but they don't seem to work - Unknown host again.

Out of interest, I tried rumpus.plus.net and I get 'Access Denied', which is what i'd expect.

Conclusion - it appears that the new free-online cgi server can't resolve 'humbug' and 'rumpus' by themselves (not on my account, anyway).

Don't know if this is the way its meant to be, or whether there's a problem somewhere, but at least I can get my script working now!

Dave
N/A

New CGI Platform & MySQL

Ah, that could be a problem... rumpus/humbug don't have DNS under the free-online.net domain, but do under PlusNet and Force9.
mylittleduck

New CGI Platform & MySQL

Cry I feel left out now.......

Dave
thehat
Grafter

New CGI Platform & MySQL

I have the same problem:
Warning: mysql_connect(): Unknown MySQL Server Host 'rumpus' (1) in /files/home3/thehat/cgi-bin/bow/public.php on line 90

Please advise how to proceed.
Should I raise a Contact Us ticket?
thehat
Grafter

New CGI Platform & MySQL

I changed it to rumpus.free-online.co.uk (as suggested by the wizard when I went to raise a ticket) but no joy. I also tried rumpus.free-online.net that didn't work either, but rumpus.force9.net works!!
N/A

New CGI Platform & MySQL

Indeed, DNS for rumpus and humbug isn't working under the free-online domain.
thehat
Grafter

New CGI Platform & MySQL

So are all free-online MySQL users going to have to alter their scripts, or is this problem going to be fixed?
N/A

New CGI Platform & MySQL

Hopefully it will be fixed...