cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BT Cable

N/A

New BT Cable

BT recently installed a new cable to the house (outside) due to the old cable being routed around another house.
Since that time, initially I was unable to get a DSL sync for the first couple of days, then was able to get a sync for around half an hour, now no sync (been on holiday, but for the past 2 days nothing at all).
BT won't answer any questions, saying Metronet need to report any problems, and although have raised a ticket (forget trying to get through on the phone..), still not getting any joy.
Now Metronet suggest that if BT test their 'new' line and find it not sufficient for the 2mb service, may decide to cust the speed, or even remove the DSL service on the line all together.

Has anyone experienced this ?
5 REPLIES
N/A

New BT Cable

Hi,

You might be better off posting this question in the ADSL Guide forums. There are a number of helpful BT engineers who often post there. (A couple of them used to be on Metronet but since the takeover have moved on - make of that what you will.) I would suggest the best place for this particular question might be the BT Wholesale ADSL Implementation forum.

Good luck,

Pete
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

New BT Cable

Hi

If there is a fault on the line then Metronet will have to raise it with BT. However, BT will not action anything without you first doing some basic testing. CS will also ask you to do these test so that they can feed the info to BT.
To get your self one step ahead you should following the guidance here keep yourself a note of the out comes so that you can feed the details back to CS.
ADSL and sods law have a habit of working hand-in-hand and it is just possible that the new BT cable will have coincided with a filter filure or one of the other gotchas that seem to inhabit this area.

Bill
N/A

New BT Cable

Still no joy. Metronet raised with BT, and Metronet then came back to say it's been sorted (with no other info).

Have since tried with a 2nd brand new modem, 3rd microfilter, connected directly to the main box in the house, and also to the cable that comes in from outside, and the DSL sync light continues to blink on each modem.

There is nothing else plugged in to the microfilter other than the phone (also tried it without the phone connected).

Contacting Metronet to resolve using the ticket system leaves a days delay between me posting and them responding.

Can't see anything else I can do (can't test any of the BT test accounts as can't get a DSL sync, and have replaced everything inside and still get the same result).

Beginning to think either I am stupid, or Metronet are just unwilling to put any pressure on BT to resolve...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

New BT Cable

Well to this non-techie the fact that you can't get to the BT test site would indicate a BT problem.
Try a PM to Mand or James see it they can give BT a push.

Bill
N/A

New BT Cable

BT can be very odd.

Before I had ADSL I had an ISDN line for work. The installation for that required new lines from the pole to the house and then a new cable down to the new box. The old cable from the junction box on the house down to the normal phone jack was left alone.

When I had ADSL installed they fitted a new plate on the master socket and it worked fine.

A few months later the filter died and BT came out and fitted a new one (Apparently with my installation the socket/filter is BTs responsibility). At the same time the engineer looked at the old two core copper and asked why it hadn't been replaced as it was 30 years old. Without me asking he got his ladders out, got some new cable and replaced the manky old wire from the junction box to the master socket.