cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking

Fixes: 142

Networking

I'm new to broadband but am happy with it so far.

I now want to newtowrk my two PC along with the ADSL router 612 so that both PCs can have simultaneous access to email/web and each other's files.

I have netowrk the two PC together but this was some time ago.

Bot machines run W2000 and I have a static IP address with Plus.net.

I bought 5 Port Ethernet Switcher thinking that this is all I would need plus cables but readingthe small amount of help within the Technical Guide I am now confused.

It seems that I have to have two Ethernet cards in one PC - one ofr the ADSL router and the other for connecting the two PCs. Is this right.

Also, how do I take care of IP Addresses?

I also want to connect a Colour Laser Printer so both machine have access to this as well.

Any help or pointers in setting up my netowrk would be greatly apprecaited.
--
Mike

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

RE: Networking

I'm not familiar with the 612 Router, but have done what you are trying to do with a Netgear 814.

First you shouldn't need 2 network cards in one of the PCs. What you need to do is:

Connect the router and PCs to your Switch.

If you want to use fixed ip addresses then:
Set your Router LAN IP Address to say 10.0.0.1
Set PC1 IP to 10.0.0.2
Set PC2 IP to 10.0.0.3
Set the Gateway IP on both PCs to 10.0.0.1
Set both PC DNS addresses to the PN addresses (212.159.11.150 & 212.150.13.150).

This should do it.
If you have other devices like printers with ethernet, set their addresses from 10.0.0.4 onwards.
There may be some other subtle things to do (like specify the LAN IP range 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.x), but by and large there isn't much else to do.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for a quick reply.

Where do I set the Router LAN IP Addresses plus all the other IP addresses?

I have noted that under the TCP/IP setting for Local Area Connection under Network and Dial-up Connections is set to Obtain an IP Address automatically. Should that be cahnged to 'Use the Following IP Address' then start by adding the Static IP Address there.

What is the Netmask quoted with my Staic IP address.

How does the network know wjen you are accessing the router, printer or other PC?

Sorry so many questions but I am still a little confused.
--
Mike

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Saturn
Grafter

Mike

As I say I'm not familiar with your Router, but there should be some means of setting your WAN address (connection to the ISP - 212.159.x.x) and your LAN address (I suggested 10.0.0.1). In Win2k you go Start-Settings-Network & Dialup-Local Area Network.

This will bring up a Network panel and you press Properties button.

This will bring up yet another panel and will show some installed services. Click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select Properties.

This will bring up yet another panel and you will see a pile of edit boxes for IP addresses:

Insert the IP address 10.0.0.2 (addr for PC1)
Set the subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Set the default Gateway 10.0.0.1 (the addr of your Router.

Set the Pri DNS Server 212.159.11.150
Set the Alt DNS Server 212.159.13.150

That should be it. Repeat for your other PC etc.

Thanks again - I'll let you knwo how I get on
--
Mike

Saturn
Grafter

I should have also said that in the panel where all of the IP addresses reside, you will need to select the little radio button to allow you to fill in your own IP address instead of using a DHCP server.

Sometimes (as with my Router) the Router can act as a DHCP server. That means it will look at your network and allocate an address to each piece of equipment it finds on your LAN. This is fine if your Router supports this functionality, but it does present further problems when you want to be consistently accessible from the internet (e.g. if you want a Website on your own PC). Each time you boot up your network and PCs it is possible that each piece of equipment will be allocated different addresses and this introduces further complication to be resolved by Dynamic DNS support. This is probably getting boring so suffice it to say if you set your addresses as I have suggested you should be ok.

When you try to access the internet by typing www.etc some communication takes place between your computer and a DNS server to resolve (find) the IP address of the site you wish to access. This communication is sent through your default gateway to the internet. Any address in the subnet range of 10.0.0.x is looked for within you LAN.

To set up a printer you will need to install a network port and give it and IP address. This setup process is very dependent on what you are trying to install, so further information will be required to help you. I have an Intel Print Station so have installed printer drivers for all of my PCs. This, by no means guarantees I'll be able to give you all of the answers though.

BTW do I still have to give the netowrk a name and give each of the PCs their unique names?

Thanks in advance
--
Mike

Saturn
Grafter

> BTW do I still have to give the netowrk a name and give each of the PCs their unique names?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
> Mike

Yes, that will make things easier when you want to, for example, use Explorer to exchange info between PCs. For your setup you should select Workgroup rather than Domain and I would recommend using a different name than the default 'Workgroup'.

I also populate a hosts file on each PC. This seems to help under certain circumstances. It's in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc and is called 'Hosts' and has an example of what to do inside the file. It isn't critical to your internet access though.

N/A

I dont have WIn 2000 but the following advice cured all my networking probs. For XP substitute WIN 2K..It's also a good idea to clear the boxes in your configuration tab( control panel>Network), and rebooting before starting the procedure, as this clears away any erroneous settings you may already have played with.Good luck

What I did>> On Win98SE
1. Using ControlPanel>Networks add File and printer sharing and Client add Microsoft network
2. Select your NIC card on TCP/IP Then>Properties>IP address. Ck the box "specify an IP address" Type in 192.168.0.3 (or the number of your computer.It may be 0.2) and 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask.
3. Select gateway and type in 192.168.0.1. (This is the main port for adsl 504) and press ADD. numbers will move to lower window.
4.Select WINS and ck Disable Wins resolution.
5.select DNS Config Ck enable and add your DNS Servers numbers That are obtained from your ISP. If you dont know them go to Programs>MSDOS prompt. At prompt type "winipcfg /all" dont use parenthesis and dont forget the space after winipcfg. The dialogue box will show your DNS server .Take note of the number then select the ellipse at side of number for the second DNS server. exit out of DOS prompt.
6. (Still in Network>properties>TCP/IP your netNIC card) Select Advanced tab and ck Set this protocol as default.
7. Select Bindings tab Ck client and File and print sharing.
8. Select Access tab Ck Share level access.
9.VERY IMPORTANT. Select ID tab Use existing computer name. (It will come up automatically), or change to your own name. Then in Workgroups. Change MSHOME to Workgroup. THIS IS A MUST. select description and enter whatever you like e.g. bedroom.
10. select OK and OK again to get you back to the desktop. You will get a message to reboot. Go ahead.

On XP machine select same tabs on network and make the same changes.Except that your computer IP setting will be different e.g 192.168.0.2

Back to Win 98se
11. Select Network Neighbourhood and wait, and wait Have a cup of tea. for 5-15 mins.
12. Zone Alarm will ask for access say yes and tick always remember box
13 Go to Zone alarm and look in ZONES. select your IP addresses that may have been "blocked" click on them and change to trusted. Do the same on the XP machine.
14. Reboot
15. Select files or drives that you want to share and right click select share.
16. Happy networking!!!!!
17. Remember when you load Network Neighbourhood it takes a while to load on Win98se.

Gee! Lots of help:-) What a great forum and so late at night. Thanks all. Must get some sleep now.

Cheers
--
Mike