cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking and ADSL

N/A

Networking and ADSL

I doubt if this is a new problem but help will be appreciated/

I have the Solwise ADSL ,ode, linked to a hub and then to my desktop computer. Thsi works great.

On the same netwrok I have other computers including from time to time my notebook. How do I connect these to the internet please.

I have checked the network is OK and I have different adresses for the computers but the notebook just does not see the ADSL link.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Allan
4 REPLIES
N/A

Networking and ADSL

There are four things which matter:[list=1]
  • The addresses you assign to the other computers must be addresses in the same network (or subnet) as the first computer, but using different host numbers.

• An appropriate value must be used for the subnet mask (use the same value as you have on the first PC).

• The default route (sometimes called "default gateway") must be correct -- the "LAN" IP address of your router. Again, use the same value as you have on your first PC.

• DNS addresses must be correct -- you could code 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50. Or, use the values used by the first PC.
    [/listShocked]
  • N/A

Networking and ADSL

Task,

Thanks for this advice.

I thought I had followed this as it seemed the right way from the instructions. However I may have got it wrong and so will do a detail recheck this evening.
    N/A

Networking and ADSL

I have this setup as well with various computers running Windows 9.x XP/W2K/W2K3 and Linux all without problems.

I have configured the SAR-110 as a DHCP server and ensured that most systems use DHCP for addresses - although I have static addresses assigned for a server and a wireless access point. (I allocated something like 192.168.7.11 to 192.168.7.30 to the DHCP scope - the Solwise SAR-110 uses a network address of 192.168.7.0 subnet 255.255.255.0 by default with it's IP address set as 192.168.7.1, which you should set as the default gateway for the DHCP scope).

On Windows 2000/XP/2003 you should use 'ipconfig /all' from a command prompt to view the computer's IP configuration, whilst for Windows 9x you should use 'winipcfg'.

Hope that helps.

Neil
    N/A

Networking and ADSL

Helped by these replies, for which many thanks, I got it going quite easily.

For soem reason I had an extra network connection defined on the notebook computer and that seemed to mess everyhting up. I simple disabled it and we were away.

Thanks for the help guys.