cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking Router with XP and Win95

N/A

Networking Router with XP and Win95

Is this possible? I previously had 3 pc's networked sharing a dial-up connection through main pc. Main pc and one other running WinXP and other on Win95. I now have 3com router and network hub. WinXP pc's work fine are networked and ADSL is great. Is it possible for Win(5 pc to share this connection and if so how? I have tried various ways but have had no success. Also connection dies when phone in use but I am waiting for new micro-filters.
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Networking Router with XP and Win95,REPLY

> Is this possible? I previously had 3 pc's networked sharing a dial-up connection through main pc. Main pc and one other running WinXP and other on Win95. I now have 3com router and network hub. WinXP pc's work fine are networked and ADSL is great. Is it possible for Win(5 pc to share this connection and if so how? I have tried various ways but have had no success. Also connection dies when phone in use but I am waiting for new micro-filters.
>

Hi,
I think your problem is that win95 cannot succesfully share an internet connection (ICS or internet connection sharing). However their is a workable solution to this,if you upgraded your OS from win95 to win98 then internet connection sharing is then possible (I think MS introduced ICS with win98 but not with win95,if that makes sense!).
So if you upgraded to win98 then this would get around the problem. If your hardware is upto it then once upto win98 you could even upgrade eventually to WinXP (but your hardware might be the restiction in that process,i.e.minimum hardware requirement for XP).

Hope this might be of use/help?

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

RE: Networking Router with XP and Win95

> Is this possible? I previously had 3 pc's networked sharing a dial-up connection through main pc. Main pc and one other running WinXP and other on Win95. I now have 3com router and network hub. WinXP pc's work fine are networked and ADSL is great. Is it possible for Win(5 pc to share this connection and if so how? I have tried various ways but have had no success. Also connection dies when phone in use but I am waiting for new micro-filters.
>

Perhaps I don't understand your (new, ADSL) configuration, but I don't see where ICS comes into this at all. You say you now have a 3Com router (I take it that is an ADSL router?) and a network hub. So I assume everything - the PCs and the 3Com router - are connected to the hub. Which means that for any of the PCs to access the Internet they route via the hub to the LAN side of the 3Com, through the 3Com onto its WAN side and out into the big wide world: they do *not* route through any of the other PCs, so ICS does not come into it. At least, that's how I would have done it.

So, each of your PCs needs to have a default route which specifies the IP Address of the LAN side of your 3Com router (so that the PC knows the first hop is to the router, which will then forward the traffic). So, go into the networking setup on the Windows 95 boxes and set the default route accordingly. (You can use the command ipconfig /all to view the current settings.)
N/A

RE: Networking Router with XP and Win95

> > Is this possible? I previously had 3 pc's networked sharing a dial-up connection through main pc. Main pc and one other running WinXP and other on Win95. I now have 3com router and network hub. WinXP pc's work fine are networked and ADSL is great. Is it possible for Win(5 pc to share this connection and if so how? I have tried various ways but have had no success. Also connection dies when phone in use but I am waiting for new micro-filters.
> >
>
> Perhaps I don't understand your (new, ADSL) configuration, but I don't see where ICS comes into this at all. You say you now have a 3Com router (I take it that is an ADSL router?) and a network hub. So I assume everything - the PCs and the 3Com router - are connected to the hub. Which means that for any of the PCs to access the Internet they route via the hub to the LAN side of the 3Com, through the 3Com onto its WAN side and out into the big wide world: they do *not* route through any of the other PCs, so ICS does not come into it. At least, that's how I would have done it.
>
> So, each of your PCs needs to have a default route which specifies the IP Address of the LAN side of your 3Com router (so that the PC knows the first hop is to the router, which will then forward the traffic). So, go into the networking setup on the Windows 95 boxes and set the default route accordingly. (You can use the command ipconfig /all to view the current settings.)

Now I have solwise router all works fine and the win 95 pc surfs at a resonable speed. Thanks