Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network

OshB5
Grafter

Network

Morning all.

I dont know if anyone has done or is doing anything like the following, or it is even allowed. I have a wirless network at home. and use a couple of m/c on it along with a wired server that is on constantly. When i go over to my mates house. I use my laptop over there and it is fine. would it be possible to add wirless network card to his pc and enable him to log on to my network and share files along with network games and to give him a email address so he could lerne to use email and if he ever got that far or wanted to do a bit of surfing?.

Andy
8 REPLIES
N/A

Sharing

Hello Andy,

Yes! I cannot see why there would be any problem in doing this. The only thing you would have to bear in mind is that the network card that you add to your friends PC would have to have an IP address which was recognised as part of your home network. So for example if your home network used 192.168.77.03 then your mates machine & network card would also have to use a 192.168.77.xx (what ever) so the machine was seen as part of your network.

**You would have to create an account for him/her on your server and probably add them to user groups too. So they could login.

**might need to setup network shares if havent already and set file & folder permissions on them to allow file sharing,etc.

Ivan
N/A

Network

This should be easy enough to do, so long as the wireless is in reach for him to link to.

Assuming that your wireless gives out dhcp leases (automatic IP configuration) then all you should need to do, is plug in the wireless card and go.

You might have to add hostnames to make it easier to see computers on the network. Also, you may want to think about securing your wireless network a little, so people dont just come along and hop onto the network for free.
OshB5
Grafter

re network

hi
Thanks for the answers, my main worry was if f9 would be ok with it in that he might use the net on my connection.. I am on a premmier account though..

Having said that though. My mate does not even know how to send emails.. only just managed to get him to be able to search on ebay and that took some teaching LOL. so even if he was on mine i dont think it would make any differance do you..

regs Andy
N/A

Connection useage

Hi Andy,

I think your worrying unneccessarily about your connection useage, you just need to use it but keep any eye on how much data you've pulled down. I use the F9 VMU tool here on the portal.

Ivan
N/A

Network

I think you might be treading on thin ice if you share you connection with another residence ...

From the General Terms & Conditions ...

1.7 "Service" means the range of Internet connectivity products, content, services and applications provided to you by us.

11.5 When we provide you with the Service, it, and any associated software, it is intended for your use only. Therefore, you must not re-sell, transfer, assign or sub-license the Service (or any part of it) or the associated software to anyone else.

How F9 would know (apart from the fact you've announced it in the forum) i've no idea :?
OshB5
Grafter

thanks

Hi Thanks

Yes I see the point there and in the T&Gs. Never mind i will just let him share my network...

regs Andy

I suppose i had better sort out my wireless security then to stop other jumping and freeloading noe LOL :lol:
N/A

Network

F9 obviously don't stick too tightly to those terms anyway as they openly invite you to use it for the whole household when that paragraph implies every user in the house would need their own connection.

You do have to bear in mind though that if your friend uses up a huge amount of bandwidth it will be you who are liable for it (if F9 decided it was impacting the whole user base). Also if they did something illegal you would be liable as its your responsability what your connection is used for.
OshB5
Grafter

sharing

Hi

I would doubt the friend would do any of the avove. he can manage to look on ebay. he dont even know how to bid, I have to put stuff on he wants to sell and even send email for him LOL but to be on the safe side I will keep him away from the i/net side. The only reason for the connection was so our two girls could chat and play over the lan LOL

regs Andy