cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Usage Monitor

N/A

Network Usage Monitor

Does anyone know of a decent Network Usage Monitor.
I've had a look around but found nothing I like. As F9 has its SUP inplemented, I now wish to monitor my usage until F9 produce the required tools to do this through them.eg. (Usenet, P2P & Peak time usage)

As I also have an internal network, it would be handy to be able to monitor through ports although not essential. Ideally im looking for a tool that will provide both download\upload amounts and current speed.

If you know of a good product, please let me know.

Also, the cheaper the better. Cheesy

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Network Usage Monitor

Hello Dynem,

I have been using a small freeware program I discovered which measures very precisely your ADSL uplink & downlink useage. This is a fabulous little gem of a tool, it measures daily,weekly,monthly,yearly useage. You can also set-up a monthly limit and the program flags up a warning if your going to exceed your set limits. Data collected from the program can be xported into a standard MS excel spreadsheet program for graphing or deeper analysis. I for one highly rate this program, and it surpasses several in its class for which you might have to pay. ( 10 out of 10) See URL for NetMeter Beta.

http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

Ivan
N/A

Network Usage Monitor

Thanks Ivan,
Its nice and simple. Looks good. WIll be great for monitoring my download speeds. As i've got a LAN at home, my download limits will get recorded off the roof, however its not all the time I copy between PC's so I could work around this. Appreciate the link.

Have also found a more comprehensive util that seems to do everything and more. It can seperate LAN and internet traffic, monitor mutiple NIC's and produce a multitude of reports. eg. Usage by port. Totals by hour, day, week, month + much much more.
See BWMeter @ http://www.desksoft.com/BWMeter.htm. Cost $30.

Its a little overkill for what I need, and if F9 manage to update the portal with a tool that will show total peaktime usage, this will not be required. I'd then like to stick with Netmeter.

Well, im on 30 free trial with BWMeter so will compare the both.

Thanks again.
N/A

Network Usage Monitor

Hello Again dynem,

Well for a freebee tool I think NetMeter Beta is almost unbeatable for quality and features. I have personally found it very valuable in measuring my download & upload useage in comparison to the F9 VMBU tool on the portal.

There have been a couple of times were I have looked at my useage on the portal and thought how could that be right, I'm sure I havent used that much? Wrong!! when I checked Netmeter it has infact tallied correctly so the proof of useage is there.

**I like the monthly limit that you can set in Netmeter and that it can warn you if your about to go over it, which is a neat feature IMO.

**Anyway, glad you found something else that meets your needs though.

Ivan
N/A

Network Usage Monitor

Well, NetMeter is better than expected. Have been using NetMeter instead of BWMeter as its so simple. Have noticed that it does not measure my local traffic so the download totals remain accurate for internet usage.
Guess I'll be sticking with NetMeter.
Only gripe is that when displayed on screen, "X" closes util rather than minimise back to task bar. Can't grumble for the price though. Excellent product.
N/A

Network Usage Monitor

Hi Again,

I have only been using NetMeter on one WAN interface so far. But The program can as far as I know be configured to measure useage on multiple interfaces such as LANS (nics) but you have to definately set it up to do that.

Ivan
N/A

Network Usage Monitor

No, im actually happy in the way its currently working thanks.
Although I have mutiple nics configured. (VMWARE's virtual LAN's) my local and internet traffic all go via my primary NIC. Im happy that NetMeter is ignoring traffic going to "I assume" devices on my local subnet. Any outside this range is captured.
I can be downloading from the internet while copying a large file from one of my other PC's. Although all the NIC's bandwidth is being used, NetMeter only reports stats on the packets going outside my LAN.
Just what I wanted.