cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear FWAG114 Router issues

rtc

Hi,

I''ve been having some problems getting my Netgear FWAG114 Router working with F9, but have resolved them and thought this info might be of use to someone else in the same predicament.

This router is not an integrated device, it requires an external DSL modem to be connected for Internet access.

This is where the problem stems from, you can connect to the Internet if the DSL modem (Netgear DG632 in my case) is connected directly to a PC using the the default settings and letting it discover the connection parameters, but can't connect if it's hooked up via the FWAG114.

After much playing around I discovered that if I configured the FWAG114 and DG632 as below, everything works fine:
FWAG114:
- Basic Setting / Internet IP Address = Use Static IP Address IP xxx ; SM: 255.255.255.0 ; DG: 212.159.68.1
- Basic Setting / DNS Address = Use These DNS Servers: 212.159.13.49 ; 212.159.13.49

DG632:
- Mode = Modem Only
- IP = Get From ISP
- DNS = Use These DNS Servers: 212.159.13.49 ; 212.159.13.49

One question I do have though, why I can configure the DSL modem to grab all the IP info but not the router?
Also could someone confrm that I have set the static IP for the gateway correctly, I guessed it was: 212.159.68.1 (seems to work anyway :-)

Regards Tony.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Replying

Hello Tony,

Interesting topic and to try and answer some of your points. First of all Default Gateway is usually a fixed IP address which tell your modem or router the outbound IP for connecting with either the internet, ISP or mail server. DG is an essential setting for web access when using routers & modems.

** I was able to ping the DG IP address you gave above which shows that it is a live IP (working network card or device) so is probably correct.

**Modems are designed differently from routers, routers as far as my experience goes dont usually have settings that allow automatically assigned IP or DNS to be detected or set. In other words with routers (generally speaking) its always been traditional that IP's & DNS & DG & SNM are all set-up manually by hand.

So modems usually do allow automatic assignment of IP & DNS from the ISP servers (in other words ISP's historically have used DHCP servers with dialup connections or accounts to give the connection a temporary IP address which is then released when the connection was closed or finished).

Ivan
N/A

Replying

Hello Tony,

Interesting topic and to try and answer some of your points. First of all Default Gateway is usually a fixed IP address which tell your modem or router the outbound IP for connecting with either the internet, ISP or mail server. DG is an essential setting for web access when using routers & modems.

** I was able to ping the DG IP address you gave above which shows that it is a live IP (working network card or device) so is probably correct.

**Modems are designed differently from routers, routers as far as my experience goes dont usually have settings that allow automatically assigned IP or DNS to be detected or set. In other words with routers (generally speaking) its always been traditional that IP's & DNS & DG & SNM are all set-up manually by hand.

So modems usually do allow automatic assignment of IP & DNS from the ISP servers (in other words ISP's historically have used DHCP servers with dialup connections or accounts to give the connection a temporary IP address which is then released when the connection was closed or finished).

Ivan
rtc

Thanks for the reply, I agree that routers have historically been manual setup devices (as has been my experience from Enterprise configs), but the FWAG114 provides the option to 'Get IP Dynamically from ISP'.
The interesting thing is that If I set it to discover IP and DNS, it does; everything indicated in the status is correct.

If setup this way, the Log shows that anything LAN side cannot route WAN side, with a msg stating (..cannot find route to...dropping packet)
I tried setting static routes to the DSL modem and specific external sites, but got the same errors.

If I get time later I'm going to tcpdump all the traffic from the non-functioning config and compare it to a working one, I'll let you know the results.

Regards, Tony.
N/A

If you're talking ADSL routers, which we are of course here, then they implement PPP -- the same PPP modems have -- which provides for dynamically assigning network properties. No ADSL router I'm aware of is any less capable than any ADSL modem in this regard.

On your own settings why are you using the same DNS server as both the primary and secondary? If you're going to set these manually, I believe Force9 currently has four to choose from:
If you set two, the best idea would be to choose one from each range.
rtc

Yeah, suppose it would have to use PPP in order to gather the required data.
Perhaps thats where the problem lies, PPP on the DSL modem is establishing the connection not on the Router, so the packets can't route through.

Begs the question though, why have this as an option on a Router that has no built in Modem.

Regards, Tony.
N/A

More

Hi Tony,

Begs the question though, why have this as an option on a Router that has no built in Modem.

I think thats at the nubb of things here?

From what you've previously indicated the dropped packets reported in the error message seem to suggest that a route (path) cannot be established and that the required information is not present or is incorrect within the routing tables. I know this doesnt fix it exactly but it does point to nature of this problem I feel.

I use an ADSL modem and it uses PPPoA (point to point over ATM), other options might be PPPoE (point to point over Ethernet) were a router is used.

Ivan

Ivan
N/A

It's because the router gets its settings by DHCP from whatever DHCP server is available on the network (the DG632 in your case), the same as a PC does when it's connected to the DG632.

It's actually a "firewall/router" isn't it, a device that some manufacturers call a "Broadband router" or a "Cable/DSL router", to indicate it can attach to either a cable "modem" or xDSL "modem" and they usually provide NAT, a firewall, and connection facilities for more than one PC (ie a hub or switch built in).

The terminology all gets a bit silly and confusing here. For example, personally, I wouldn't call the DG632 a "modem". I believe it can act as a modem, but it can also act as a router. Maybe they use the term "modem" because it doesn't have the full range of features people have come to expect from a device called a "router".

But the DG632 is capable of acting as a DHCP server for an Ethernet-connected PC, is it not? In fact, isn't this a standrad way of using this device -- Cat5 cable connecting it to a PC, with the PC set to acquire its network settings automatically?

In which case, if you connect the DG632 to the "WAN" port (I'm guessing it has one) on the FWAG114, and tell the FWAG114 to get its settings automatically, it ought to get them from the DG632, the same as a PC does when it is connected to the DG632. I understand the DG632 does some sort of spoofing business and relays the public IP address, so I'd expect this to end up on the WAN interface of the FWAG114.
N/A

Replying

Hello again,

YEP! would have to agree with tasky on the above, the makers terminology does get pretty confusing at times.

Ivan
N/A

Why aren't you showing us your Father Christmas hat, Ivan? It's a Sunday afternoon -- I'd have thought you'd be "in the spirit" by now?
N/A

I notice, from the NetGear manuals, the DG632 and FWAG114 both use 192.168.0.1 as the IP Address on their LAN interfaces.

Personally, I'd be inclined to get rid of this conflict, by going into the FWAG114's "LAN IP Setup" screen and wherever a 192.168.0.<something> address appears changing it to the equivalent 192.168.1 address (three occurences), applying the change and rebooting the router and PCs connected to it.

I notice the manual says if you did not enter a DNS address manually in the router's "Basic Settings" screen (ie the router acquires this information automatically by DHCP [the DG632 in your case]) then it will supply its own IP address (192.168.1.1 if you follow my suggestion) to any PCs which it, in its own turn, configures by DHCP. I think this probably means the FWAG114 will be able to resolve hostnames for any PC on your own local network which it has configured by DHCP (saving you from having to use their IP addresses or create host tables on each one), and, in the case of requests for resolution of names of hosts which are not local hosts, it will forward the request to Force9's DNS server(s). If you use this, and it is a convenient feature if you have several PCs, then each one of them should show 192.168.1.1 as the DNS server (as well as also being the default gateway).
N/A

More

Tasky
I hate to tell you this once again but father christmas doesnt exists, obviously nobody told you as a kid?? I've heard some nasty rumors that father christmas was jesus's dad really?? but I doute writing him letters will help, anyway I believe you might have already missed the last posting date already even if you wanted too.

**Christmas the christians nicked it off the pagans anyway as they didnt know what to call it so they named it after that jewish bloke with the long lanky hair. he obviously didnt know about wash and go either !! See god doesnt know everything does he?

Xmas bar humbug load of commerical drival if you ask me but I guess your not asking me Oh!! well its just my hethan opinion (dont know what the worlds coming too??!!) Probably been watch too much Life of Bryan again!! OOP's.

Ivan
N/A

More Again

Suppose I better go and say 10 hail marys just in case before I go to bed.