cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG814 timing out

N/A

Netgear DG814 timing out

Does anybody use the Netgear DG814 ADSL modem/ethernet 4-port router?

I have it working with 3 PC's and netgear ethernet cards/PCMIA devices.... but only for a while.
when left alone it eventually times out and I can't even get to the routers setup page (http://192.168.0.1) signifying a problem on the LAN side of the router. Rebooting the router solves the problem temporarily but this is a pain if we have to do that every time.

I note that the connection port lights are still lit at ethernet card and router ends but it seems that the LAN side is innoperative.

Anybody got any suggestions? Is it the way i have configured the PC's or the router?

Yours
Ralph
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Netgear DG814 timing out

> Does anybody use the Netgear DG814 ADSL modem/ethernet 4-port router?
>
> I have it working with 3 PC's and netgear ethernet cards/PCMIA devices.... but only for a while.
> when left alone it eventually times out and I can't even get to the routers setup page (http://192.168.0.1) signifying a problem on the LAN side of the router. Rebooting the router solves the problem temporarily but this is a pain if we have to do that every time.
>
> I note that the connection port lights are still lit at ethernet card and router ends but it seems that the LAN side is innoperative.
>
> Anybody got any suggestions? Is it the way i have configured the PC's or the router?
>
> Yours
> Ralph

I had similar problems, but a firmware upgrade to version 4.3 from the US site www.netgear.com has made all the difference.
It also needed a 'kickstart' to get the ADSL connection going sometimes - not anymore.
Good luck.
N/A

RE: Netgear DG814 timing out

> I had similar problems, but a firmware upgrade to version 4.3 from the US site www.netgear.com has made all the difference.
> It also needed a 'kickstart' to get the ADSL connection going sometimes - not anymore.
> Good luck.
>

Unfortunately my router already had version 4.3 installed.... so I daren't try and update the firmware with a version it already has... BUT

Having observed similar complaints on the google groups search... the Fix seems to be setting the IDLE TIMEOUT value to 0 which I guess means it never drops the connection ...

... I trust this doesn't cause dear 'ol Force9 any problems, but it seems to have solved the problems at this end.

Now I only have to try and get my third flatmate's old 486 PC working with its network card and we're laughin....

Ralph.