cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need good Video card

N/A

Need good Video card

Basically I bought a 2.6Ghz 512mb PC with a Geforce FX5200 video card. I assumed that this video card was quite good but I've just tried Doom 3 on it and it isn't. Basically I have a budget of about £100 to £120 for buying a new graphics card that could run Half Life 2. Any ideas anyone?

Also just found a good offer on Half Life 2. IT's only £24.99 from amazon. Click the picture in this link

http://www.jhutti.f9.co.uk/B/links.htm
14 REPLIES
N/A

Need good Video card

on that budget, good luck..
N/A

Need good Video card

Thanks for the good luck. I've actually just found a steal on a certain website for exactly what I wanted! Forget paying £300 I'm well happy! :-)
N/A

Need good Video card

Excellent! hope it works out for you Smiley
N/A

Need good Video card

pick up a 9800pro about £100 plays all games out now at 1152x864 high settings. very happy with mine.
N/A

Need good Video card

where did you pick that up? Oh if anyone knows where to get cheap alineware from (if there is a place on earth) do tell ! :-)
N/A

Need good Video card

i buy all my pc bits from www.overclockers.co.uk
N/A

gforce 6600 fx screaming

very quick vga card bought one the other day from http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ they are selling for half the price of the 6800, and looking at the reviews they are faster than the radeon :lol:
N/A

ATI Graphics card

Hi,

I've just installed (upgraded) a Radeon 9550 card for someone who is into online gaming over the internet and he seems to rate this card quite highly, the card uses open GL and direct X version 9.0 and has 256MB video memory onboard and when running glows blue inside the casing but Ive no idea on price.

**With this card the video play back image quality was excellent, (smooth no frame jerking) on an MPEG file, still images were very sharp and crisp, online gaming image quality was excellent to we tested the card using the combat game medall of honor.

**The Radeon card uses a normal AGP slot

**This card also includes some additional software which supplies some of the cards more advanced features (bells & whistles).

**Installation was straightforwards (although you have to disable any onboard graphics or integrated grahics before installing this card, you also have to uninstall any other ATI drivers or previous software. In other words you cannot treate this as an upgrade you have to perform a fresh clean install of these drivers for it work as required.

**Verdict seems like a good quality card to me.

Ivan
N/A

Need good Video card

nice, www.ebuyer.com is the best for pc hardware and other stuff.

This is what im getting soon:

--------------------------------------------

Connect3D ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 256MB GDDRIII + DVI + DVI + VIVO

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=5402838099&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3...

---------------------------------------------

MSI K8N Diamond SKT939 nForce4 Onboard Sound/LAN DDR - Retail Box

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=5402960099&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3...

----------------------------------------------

AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3500+ 939pin 512kb L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor With 3 Year Warranty and Fan Included

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=7...

------------------------------------------------

Any better suggestions?
N/A

Need good Video card

ok, i bought a new gfc for HL2 recently and for £90 you can get this: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=6...

it rocks!!!! plays hl2 a dream...70FPS constant and with all settings on high and medium with 1600x1200 on CS:S. You cant go wrong with this card and also by buying from ebuyer!!!!

My Spec:

3.2 AMD Athlon (2.2ghz)
1GB DDR400 RAM
Connect3D 9800 PRO Radeon 128MB
N/A

Need good Video card

Yeah I think ebuyer is great too. They sometimes get stuff wrong but they do sort it out in the end - have to wait a little while for customer service but it is good when you get it. Tis price you pay for cost savings.

I have a good card for HL2 (well I play CS: Source mostly):
3.2 AMD Athlon (2.2ghz)
1GB DDR400 RAM
Sapphire Radeon X800 XT Platunim Edition (AGP edition)

Though I have noticed that it could do with a faster processor (AMD64 3500+ probably) to really squeeze it.

All settings to highest, 16xAF, 2xFSAA (recently trying out 6xFSAA and it seems to cope fine!!), V sync on, 1280x1024.

Framerates hang around 60, but often max at 70 (V sync on stops it going higher), but can dip to as low as 20 if its very busy in the scene.

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC card for the enthusiast !!

example screenshot (2xFSAA) - make sure its actual size

sorry - just dead chuffed with it!!!!
N/A

Need good Video card

if you do go for a high end card KEEP AWAY from Sapphire they are not as good, stick with brands such as: MSI, Connect3D, HIS and you'll be fine. Sapphires usually have a lower memory bus, im not saying there crap but i think you should get more for your money with another card. Also the card i showed you was in your budget so there ya go.
N/A

Need good Video card

I was just expanding the scope of the thread as its been so long since it started jhutti must have already got a card by now....

I have always bought sapphire, they make excellent cards in my opinion. Where is the memory bus info from? I have never hearId of this and would like to find out if i have been making a mistake buying them...

If you can afford to go for PCI-Express, its SLI that is the way forward (two graphics cards working together). You could buy one card now and then later buy another one when its needed, and nearly double your graphics power.
Adam1V
Grafter

Need good Video card

on that budget, good luck..

its not that bad.
definatly go for the Nvidia 6600 GT, i have a Radeon 9800 which is its competitors equivilent, but i think the nvidia card is just a tad quicker.

Any how, for £100 ish thats the best you'll get for your money.