cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new comp - build one?

N/A

Need a new comp - build one?

I am looking to get a new comp for home and was looking for some advice...

I have pissed around taking bits in/out of comps many times over the years so i have no probs opening up one of the puppies and having a go at putting it together.

Just wanted some input as to where to buy components - what to avoid/go for e.g. what type of chipset/processor.

I am looking at a budget of around 700 notes with the following spec:

P4 2.5 ish
512 ram
120 gig hdd (could be two 80)
CD-rw (burn proof and fast)
Decent video card for games etc... +tv out
DVD drive etc...
Firewire
USB2 (probably 6 ports min)
10/100 net card
mid range sound stuff
probably run a self install xp and office xp copy.

Has anyone got any advice on these specs and where to buy them - or if there are any good cheap machines (quality ones) laying around on some website ....

Thanks in advance.

Chris
13 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?

Why not look at http://www.overclockers.co.uk.. they will put together a good fast machine without an o/s so you can configure it yourself. They also sell excellent fast boards, cpu's etc..

Yes, definitely build one or buy a bare-bones and start from scratch yourself.
N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?


Having looked at your proposed spec and budget I think you will be hard pressed to achieve what you want!!

P4 & cooler = £250
RAM = £100 (more for fast RIMM)
Motherboard = £150
HDDs = £140
Video card = £150
CDRW = £85
DVD = £100
usb on motherboard
10/100 card =£20
Sound & firewire = £85
O/S = £150
Monitor = ?
Cabinet = £250 for a decent one.

Get my drift?

N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?

Email robert.smith84@ntlworld.com
tell him Jan sent you.

I just got a 21.Athlon AUS board 512 ram 2*80gig fast speed hds 48 writer case etc for around the price you are after. It is tight to get what you want for the price you qoute its all down to quality but this guy does the job



> I am looking to get a new comp for home and was looking for some advice...
>
> I have pissed around taking bits in/out of comps many times over the years so i have no probs opening up one of the puppies and having a go at putting it together.
>
> Just wanted some input as to where to buy components - what to avoid/go for e.g. what type of chipset/processor.
>
> I am looking at a budget of around 700 notes with the following spec:
>
> P4 2.5 ish
> 512 ram
> 120 gig hdd (could be two 80)
> CD-rw (burn proof and fast)
> Decent video card for games etc... +tv out
> DVD drive etc...
> Firewire
> USB2 (probably 6 ports min)
> 10/100 net card
> mid range sound stuff
> probably run a self install xp and office xp copy.
>
> Has anyone got any advice on these specs and where to buy them - or if there are any good cheap machines (quality ones) laying around on some website ....
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Chris

N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?


Hello mate take a look at this for some really good advise etc
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

Don't know where Richard gets his diamond studded cases from?? Wink
To be honest package bundles have some down so much, and the uk prices for parts are so high, that the only real benefits to building your own now days is you can plan for up-grades and get that nice warm feeling that you built it all by yourself!!


N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?

>
> Hello mate take a look at this for some really good advise etc
> http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm
>
> Don't know where Richard gets his diamond studded cases from?? Wink
> To be honest package bundles have some down so much, and the uk prices for parts are so high, that the only real benefits to building your own now days is you can plan for up-grades and get that nice warm feeling that you built it all by yourself!!
>
>
>

You need a decent power supply for a decent P4 setup hence the price. 300watt jobs ain't good enough.

N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?

Well I suggest visiting www.cclcomputers.co.uk they have a wide range of p4 and amd systems and build your own mix and match and from what I have seen they are one of the cheapest in the country.

> I am looking to get a new comp for home and was looking for some advice...
>
> I have pissed around taking bits in/out of comps many times over the years so i have no probs opening up one of the puppies and having a go at putting it together.
>
> Just wanted some input as to where to buy components - what to avoid/go for e.g. what type of chipset/processor.
>
> I am looking at a budget of around 700 notes with the following spec:
>
> P4 2.5 ish
> 512 ram
> 120 gig hdd (could be two 80)
> CD-rw (burn proof and fast)
> Decent video card for games etc... +tv out
> DVD drive etc...
> Firewire
> USB2 (probably 6 ports min)
> 10/100 net card
> mid range sound stuff
> probably run a self install xp and office xp copy.
>
> Has anyone got any advice on these specs and where to buy them - or if there are any good cheap machines (quality ones) laying around on some website ....
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Chris

Delves
Grafter
Posts: 188
Registered: 26-08-2007

RE: Need a new comp - build one?

Just buy a Computer Shopper and have a look through to get a feel for prices. Look out for an ASUS AV733 (I think it is) motherboard. I've just got one with an AMD 2100+ (prices of these have just fallen on e-buyer). The motherboard has an option for RAID, go for this on as it also has on-board fire wire and 4 USB you'll be looking at £120 or less.

AMD is the cheaper route to go for, if your wanting an Intel machine you will pay more.

Do you really need a CDR/W and a DVD, consider buying a combined unit, these are around £70. As for the case you will need a 300watt PSU but you don't need to spend £250. I've got a good case 4 5-1/4 drive bays (no screws required) front sound and USB ports for £58

IF you buy a hard drive look for a 7200rpm ATA133, there fast but quite noisy I picked an 80Gb drive up for £90.

Hope this helps a little

Dave

> I am looking to get a new comp for home and was looking for some advice...
>
> I have pissed around taking bits in/out of comps many times over the years so i have no probs opening up one of the puppies and having a go at putting it together.
>
> Just wanted some input as to where to buy components - what to avoid/go for e.g. what type of chipset/processor.
>
> I am looking at a budget of around 700 notes with the following spec:
>
> P4 2.5 ish
> 512 ram
> 120 gig hdd (could be two 80)
> CD-rw (burn proof and fast)
> Decent video card for games etc... +tv out
> DVD drive etc...
> Firewire
> USB2 (probably 6 ports min)
> 10/100 net card
> mid range sound stuff
> probably run a self install xp and office xp copy.
>
> Has anyone got any advice on these specs and where to buy them - or if there are any good cheap machines (quality ones) laying around on some website ....
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Chris

N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?


If you've got an old machine with bits worth cannabalising then www.scan.co.uk offer good gear at aggressive prices. www.overclockers.co.uk can prove worthwhile for fast mobos, memory and video cards. www.kustompcs.co.uk and www.coolcasemods.com will provide all the cases, windows, lights and diamond earings you could desire.
If you don't have some decent base components to build on check out www.meshplc.co.uk. It's probably gonna be cheaper to bite the bullet and buy off the shelf. They beat me every time on build price, have good customer service (non of my referrals have a bard word to say about them), and they use the same high end components as I do for my own upgrades. Did I mention the 6 month interest free deal at Mesh?

I'd also recommend considering AMD Athlons - you'll get more bang for your buck!
N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?

OK, so you need better than 300W, but £250?. How about purchase a cheaper case and change the power supply for a 400W job, no more than £30 from Maplin. Or if you want one with no messing around, DABS at £109+VAT inc 430W PSU.


> >
> > Hello mate take a look at this for some really good advise etc
> > http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm
> >
> > Don't know where Richard gets his diamond studded cases from?? Wink
> > To be honest package bundles have some down so much, and the uk prices for parts are so high, that the only real benefits to building your own now days is you can plan for up-grades and get that nice warm feeling that you built it all by yourself!!
> >
> >
> >
>
> You need a decent power supply for a decent P4 setup hence the price. 300watt jobs ain't good enough.
>
>

N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?

Chris,
If you know what you are doing it's always worth trying eBay. Prices are about the same as scan.co.uk but you can sometimes pick up a bargain If knowone is looking or want say a basic unit (case, mobo, P4).

Don't forget If you are upgrading from a P2/P3 to a P4 you will probably need a new PSU >300w as I discovered.
N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?

>Another Web-site to try;
www.ebuyer.co.uk

For £700-00 go for AMD.




--
Merry Christmas
N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?

N/A

RE: Need a new comp - build one?

www.easyetrader.co.uk
www.ebuyer.com
Use these sites regularly.