cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Narrow band, the forgotten ones.

N/A

Narrow band, the forgotten ones.

With all the hype about ADSL, us poor people who have not got a chance of getting it in the near - mid - long future seem to have been forgotten about. Until I see that Oftel is pushing for the cost of BT's wholesale unmetered narrowband Internet access products to be cut by 17 percent. Isn't it good to see us standard dial up people are still thought about.
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Narrow band, the forgotten ones.

> With all the hype about ADSL, us poor people who have not got a chance of getting it in the near - mid - long future seem to have been forgotten about. Until I see that Oftel is pushing for the cost of BT's wholesale unmetered narrowband Internet access products to be cut by 17 percent. Isn't it good to see us standard dial up people are still thought about.

Hi Kevin,

We haven't forgotton about dial customers for one!

The problem is that, as an ISP, all we can do is resell the base products as provided by the Telcos (In most cases BT Wholesale). We are one of many voices who have asked for a better balance between dial and broadband pricing. The thing to remember though is that analogue lines were never meant for data, whereas ADSL is designed to support multiple customers being connected without incurring any additional costs.

It does cost much more to provide one dial up connection than it does to provide one ADSL connection, and as you scale up the economies of scale don't appear with dialup nearly as much as they do with broadband.

I would think the best hope for dial usesrs is ISDN, and there is movement on that front in terms of Midband and 128K ISDN.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support

N/A

My post was not a 'dig' at PlusNet quite frankly, although we all want lower prices, the cost of access for me is not the issue. I was just commenting that we 'dialups' still exist and at least someone has not fogotten that. I am sure PlusNet has not either.
I recently met my local MP and mentioned that broadband access in rural areas was sadly lacking and he wrote to the minister concerned. The reply was that costs were coming down. I replied, even if I was paid to have broadband I still would not have it as my exchange is not, and looks as if it will not be enabled for quite a while. Sometimes cost is not the issue.
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> We haven't forgotton about dial customers for one!
>
> The problem is that, as an ISP, all we can do is resell the base products as provided by the Telcos (In most cases BT Wholesale). We are one of many voices who have asked for a better balance between dial and broadband pricing. The thing to remember though is that analogue lines were never meant for data, whereas ADSL is designed to support multiple customers being connected without incurring any additional costs.
>
> It does cost much more to provide one dial up connection than it does to provide one ADSL connection, and as you scale up the economies of scale don't appear with dialup nearly as much as they do with broadband.
>
> I would think the best hope for dial usesrs is ISDN, and there is movement on that front in terms of Midband and 128K ISDN.
>
> With Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support
>
>

N/A

I have put this idea forward before but its still a good one.

If +net provided a terminal server dial up users could log in and then surf at adsl speeds. I have set this up for a lot of companies and it works great, you cant download files(only to the ts server)but it is great for everything else and its cheap to setup. Its a great and services for those who cant get adsl and it could be charged at a resonable rate.

Go for it give it a try.

> > With all the hype about ADSL, us poor people who have not got a chance of getting it in the near - mid - long future seem to have been forgotten about. Until I see that Oftel is pushing for the cost of BT's wholesale unmetered narrowband Internet access products to be cut by 17 percent. Isn't it good to see us standard dial up people are still thought about.
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> We haven't forgotton about dial customers for one!
>
> The problem is that, as an ISP, all we can do is resell the base products as provided by the Telcos (In most cases BT Wholesale). We are one of many voices who have asked for a better balance between dial and broadband pricing. The thing to remember though is that analogue lines were never meant for data, whereas ADSL is designed to support multiple customers being connected without incurring any additional costs.
>
> It does cost much more to provide one dial up connection than it does to provide one ADSL connection, and as you scale up the economies of scale don't appear with dialup nearly as much as they do with broadband.
>
> I would think the best hope for dial usesrs is ISDN, and there is movement on that front in terms of Midband and 128K ISDN.
>
> With Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support
>
>