cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NETGEAR DG 814 - Connection dies ?!?!

N/A

NETGEAR DG 814 - Connection dies ?!?!

Hi everyone,

I have been using the DG814 for the last 6 months without any problems until recently.

For the last 3 to 4 weeks, the connection seems to die on me. The lights are still on as they are supposed to be, but I can't connect to anything, I have to reboot the router to regain a connection.

The other odd thing is that I usually have some download going, so the connection is constantly used and kept live, but that doesn't stop it from dying... ?

I have upgraded to the firmware 4.6, but no change.... Any idea anyone ?

Many thanks for your help.

Andy
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: NETGEAR DG 814 - Connection dies ?!?!

> For the last 3 to 4 weeks, the connection seems to die on me. The lights are still on as they are supposed to be, but I can't connect to anything, I have to reboot the router to regain a connection.
>
> The other odd thing is that I usually have some download going, so the connection is constantly used and kept live, but that doesn't stop it from dying... ?
I would suggest this is an issue with the router, as you don't appear to lose sync (Which would indicate a BT fault).
To diagnose this properly, I would suggest trying alternate hardware and see if this eliminates your problems.
Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been using the DG814 for the last 6 months without any problems until recently.
>
> For the last 3 to 4 weeks, the connection seems to die on me. The lights are still on as they are supposed to be, but I can't connect to anything, I have to reboot the router to regain a connection.
>
> The other odd thing is that I usually have some download going, so the connection is constantly used and kept live, but that doesn't stop it from dying... ?
>
> I have upgraded to the firmware 4.6, but no change.... Any idea anyone ?
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> Andy

Hi Andy,
I would also in addition have BT check your ADSL line because your symptoms sound remarkably like the experience I had in the early days of my broadband connection. I found that I was having alot of dropped connections, the lights on my ADSL modem remained on so it looked like I had an active connection when in reality I had no connection at all. Dont be fooled it can appear that your connection is in "Sync" but in actuality its not,or its been dropped this is a very confusing state of affairs but the common symptom is no!data transfer over the line.

In my case (and possibly your too?)re-booting the modem or shutting down the connection for at least 12 seconds allows the BT line card at the phone exchange to set itself. So its not impossible (despite what F9 say)thats its a BT issue not a router issue but the difficulty for you is you have to prove it one way or another.

Contacting BT will cost you little (x1 phone call)and they can check the line,possibly check the line balance,noise level,gain level of the line etc. Its worth a try you have nothing to loose bye doing this and everything to gain.

Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

>So its not impossible (despite what F9 say)thats its a BT issue

Don't worry Ivan... we certainly never rule out that possibility! That's why I mentioned testing the hardware first. If we need to get BT out to fix something, it's a lot more time consuming and resource-intensive than a quick test at the customers end, that's why we rule everything else out first.

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> >So its not impossible (despite what F9 say)thats its a BT issue
>
> Don't worry Ivan... we certainly never rule out that possibility! That's why I mentioned testing the hardware first. If we need to get BT out to fix something, it's a lot more time consuming and resource-intensive than a quick test at the customers end, that's why we rule everything else out first.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> --
> | Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

Hi Mike,
YEP!point taken, I know its a difficult problem because its hard to know directly which side the cause lyes on (i.e. router/customers kit or BT and ADSL exchange end)Dont get me wrong I wasnt having a pop at you guys at F9 I just wanted to make it clear that such problems "can" also be a BT issue at the end of the day that was all really.

--