cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My dad and Linux

N/A

My dad and Linux

Dad has just phoned up to say he's not putting Windows on his new machine but Linux ( I've been trying to convert him for years ). Fair play to him, he's 73.
Just hope he doesn't think I run 24/7 support
Cheesy Cheesy
Cheers
Jon
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My dad and Linux

I'm going to get around to giving this Linux thing a go one of these days - mind you I may be 73 before I have the time to get around to it Shocked

Bill
N/A

My dad and Linux

Don't you start phoning up for support as well Cheesy Cheesy
Cheers
Jon
N/A

Re: My dad and Linux

Dad has just phoned up to say he's not putting Windows on his new machine but Linux ( I've been trying to convert him for years ). Fair play to him, he's 73.
Just hope he doesn't think I run 24/7 support
Cheesy Cheesy
Cheers
Jon

Nice one Jon Smiley

But you will be running 24/7 support with him lol

Dad asks " HI son but i cant install this program "
you say " What is it dad "
Dad says " Internet Explorer "
All you do is LOL and say sorry dad but no go there and you cant use exe files lol

Hope you got all his software installed for him but the ssh will be great for suport and installing stuff from your home Smiley

SSH is the way forward Smiley
N/A

My dad and Linux

Cheesy Cheesy
No worries about IE, he usually uses Mozilla but has got Opera on his old 'doze machine as well.
It should be fun explaining how a decent OS works, although I've been pulling my hair out for a while now trying to do that Cheesy
He did ask what would be the best mail client to use and I managed to refrain from telling him Pine Cheesy
Cheers
Jon
( hell, he also likes some newsgroups, I wonder if he will fall for slrn)
Cheesy Cheesy
N/A

My dad and Linux

SSH is the way forward

Cheesy
Maybe things have changed in the windows world now but a couple of years ago I had a mate round playing on one of my Linux boxes, he was a real 'doze freak. wanted to try some software so I d/led it from my machine and installed it on the one he was using.
Ok mate it's installed now
WTF? how you do that?
Err quite easily, from my machine.
bleedin hell.. this Linux is neat innit?
Cheesy Cheesy
Cheers
Jon
N/A

My dad and Linux

He did ask what would be the best mail client to use and I managed to refrain from telling him Pine

I'd go thunderbird for him Smiley
Just a bit like outlook but BETTER Cheesy

Ye you no a windows user when you talk about ssh or using a GUI

"command line, WTF that" LOL :lol:

I use gentoo in house and it rocks Smiley very powerfull system and been using it for 3 years now Smiley
N/A

My dad and Linux

Well, he's started in style.
After only having it for one day I get the first call.
"How I do stop the screensaver from asking for a password to let me back to the desktop?"
Cheers
Jon Cheesy
N/A

My dad and Linux

Well, he's started in style.
After only having it for one day I get the first call.
"How I do stop the screensaver from asking for a password to let me back to the desktop?"
Cheers
Jon Cheesy

LoL nice one Smiley
Get vnc installed to take control of system :twisted: that will freak him out, then youll get a funnyer call
N/A

My dad and Linux

Get vnc installed to take control of system that will freak him out, then youll get a funnyer call

Cheesy
I reckon I'll do that once he gets adsl. I'm going to have to go and check the install as the PC came pre-installed.
Cheers
Jon