cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple IP's

N/A

Multiple IP's

Hey,

I'm using a USB ADSL modem plugged directly into my computer (no router). The following IP's have been assigned to me:

84.92.218.224 Gateway Address
84.92.218.225 address for router
84.92.218.226 spare address
84.92.218.227 Broadcast Address

I get assigned 84.92.218.225 via dhcp, and I wondered if it's possible to setup the spare address on the same interface (so that my desktop has two IP's). Setting up two IP's on the same interface is easy when it's an ethernet NIC but I'm having trouble doing it on my dialup connection.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Multiple IP's

Hey you're almost my neighbour - I'm on 218.200-203

I'm not an expert on this, I'm waiting for f9 to put up some specific help pages about how to configure our /30 classless subnet IP addresses. There is a link to the help pages from where our multiple IP addresses are listed but I couldn't find any help pages that were relevant that they implied should exist.

I tried to setup a seperate linux server to operate on the spare address, and I even have a proper ADSL router (as opposed to USB modem), and I failed with that. I need lo learn a bit more about how best to configure it. I have however successfully added additional DNS entries via my domain on the portal to individually point to my extra IP addresses. e.g. machine1.mydomain.co.uk and machine2.mydomain.co.uk

I'm not sure why you'd want to configure the same machine to have two different IP addresses though. You may find that without a router you may not be able to use the addidional address.
Community Veteran

Multiple IP's

I'm doing this under FreeBSD with the Alacatel USB modem.
my setup looks like:

fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
inet 10.0.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255
inet 84.92.17.yyy netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 84.92.17.212
inet 84.92.17.zzz netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 84.92.17.214
ether 00:02:b3:eb:24:48
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1430
inet 84.92.17.xxx --> 195.166.128.64 netmask 0xffffffff
Opened by PID 233

Or in english, I've found that you have to assign your other ip addresses to a 2nd nic, and use the netmask 255.255.255.255 for both spare addresses.

Hope this helps!
Andrew D Wiles
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
N/A

Multiple IP's

I think this will all be simple once I get a router with ethernet bridging. It appears you can't add multiple IP's to a dialup connection (at least through the gui) in windows. I don't know if that's because it's a dialup connection, or because it's PPPoA *shrugs*. Getting a router with ethernet will also make setting up my connection on *nix variants a lot easier Smiley

Thanks for the help
N/A

Multiple IP's

http://usertools.f9.net.uk/tutorials/id/9

I found this, it appears to be the only documentation on f9 regarding this issue, it's not exactly of much use; it's a tutorial written by a user (not plusnet) for a very specific router, and I'm not even sure the concept of what he was trying to achive is the only/best way of making use of the extra IP's.