cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More on the VPN stuff

N/A

More on the VPN stuff

Is it possible to take remote control as you might say on the remote machine. I often have the situation where i am called upon to fix parents laptop (they work on the monkey in a box theory), but i live 300 miles away.

Is it possible to use terminal server (mentioned in previous post) from my XP-Pro or 2000 machine to either ME or 98?

Advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks - Chris
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: More on the VPN stuff

Chris

I use an application called VNC. It is a widely available freeware remote control application. It allows you to take control of the remote machine. If you have a fixed IP from +net then it is very easy to set up and can run on any operating system inc Linux,MAC and all windows.
What it does not allow you to do is directly copy files from one machine to another. For that you either need to set up your own shares/ftp or use a program like PC anywhere or LapLink.
What ever you are going to do I would recomend a personal firewall like Zone Alarm as a MUST.

Charlie

> Is it possible to take remote control as you might say on the remote machine. I often have the situation where i am called upon to fix parents laptop (they work on the monkey in a box theory), but i live 300 miles away.
>
> Is it possible to use terminal server (mentioned in previous post) from my XP-Pro or 2000 machine to either ME or 98?
>
> Advice would be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks - Chris

N/A

RE: More on the VPN stuff

> Chris
>
> I use an application called VNC. It is a widely available freeware remote control application. It allows you to take control of the remote machine. If you have a fixed IP from +net then it is very easy to set up and can run on any operating system inc Linux,MAC and all windows.
> What it does not allow you to do is directly copy files from one machine to another. For that you either need to set up your own shares/ftp or use a program like PC anywhere or LapLink.
> What ever you are going to do I would recomend a personal firewall like Zone Alarm as a MUST.
>
> Charlie
>
> > Is it possible to take remote control as you might say on the remote machine. I often have the situation where i am called upon to fix parents laptop (they work on the monkey in a box theory), but i live 300 miles away.
> >
> > Is it possible to use terminal server (mentioned in previous post) from my XP-Pro or 2000 machine to either ME or 98?
> >
> > Advice would be appreciated.
> >
> > Many thanks - Chris
>
>
-----------------------------
Yep, VNC www.tightvnc.com. I use it to connect to work and to help a less IT literate mate at the other end of the country. I would suggest NOT installing it as a service on your parents laptop but communicate to them in some other way to manually start it, and then manually stop it when finished.

If they haven't got a fixed IP, get them to run winipcfg (win9x/ME) or ipconfig (NT/2k/XP) and then they can tell you only their address.

Set VNC to use a fairly low resolution, otherwise it can get slow over dial-up.

Although a firewall is obviously a good idea in general, it won't make a difference here because your parents will have to allow incoming on that port! Make sure that they set a touch password (letters, numbers and punctuation) and that they disable the HTTP server built in. If you don't disable this, it can show up in a port scan but if you disable it, most programs won't see it.

Hope this helps.

--
Come on Boro!
http://www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm